Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've Installed Sp2. I Have Some Questions

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I've installed SP2. I have some questions & comments. Exchange of knowledge requested.

Of course I have a HHD backup of my system BEFORE SP2.

I installed the 266MB SP2 dl'd from M$ site for IT professionals. I've heard this is not the SP2 for XP Corp./VLK. Which is what I have. I've heard that the SP2 for XP Corp./VLK is 272MB & is yet to be released. Is this true? And what's the difference?

I had a non 640 PID so I changed my key by doing an upgrade reinstall. Using the M$Key4in1. I know that M$ says all will be well without 640 PID. But I don't trust M$ as far as their update site in the future. I have to also disable socketlock.exe from GRC.com to get the update site to work under SP2. Had to enable some services as well. Which I'm not too happy about.

But overall my system is much faster.

Your experience? Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    I didnt notice any benifits, and hated that gay ass icon in my taskbar wich i never got around to disabling. Im sticking with SP1.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Tormentor@19 August 2004 - 00:17
    I didnt notice any benifits, and hated that gay ass icon in my taskbar wich i never got around to disabling. Im sticking with SP1.

double click it, then on the left side it says something like "configure how security center alerts you" then uncheck the three boxes.
    the icon goes away.

or disable the service.

or uninstall it altogether.

my experience? well, the beta ran better for me.

every other time i installed sp2 i had used sp1 before it then upgraded to sp2.
    when i used the final one i just did a fresh install with sp2 slipstreamed and was then not able to install my scanner's software.

that's the only problem i had. im now back to sp1 until i either redownload the sp2 file or when hp comes out with a new scanner driver.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Ya, im lazy.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    So will SP2 work on all systems even the not so uhhh ligit copys. Cause read before that it would then read that it wouldnt and now i just dont wanna have to format cause MS thinks i should pay a $600 licsenceing fee :helpsmile:
    I am Member No. : 193 <--- yes there was a time when that was a lot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Good friend of mine is running XP Pro Corp/VLK.
    He downloaded SP2 from sp2torrent.com a few of days ago, and installed it as soon as the download was complete.

He reports that SP2 has given him no problems at all to date.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I reformatted my PC and put a fresh WinXP with SP2, and it works just fine. I've noticed no differences other than the new features added to IE.

I also updated my laptop (did not reformat), and after I installed SP2, the whole computer itself worked much faster for some reason.

I like it!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    maskawaih's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker427
    I reformatted my PC and put a fresh WinXP with SP2, and it works just fine. I've noticed no differences other than the new features added to IE.
    do you mean win xp pro integrated with SP2? i used that on installing xp again yesterday too.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    yeah, one of the many versions on suprnova

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I'm pretty sure that there is just one final SP2 that works with all versions of XP including the Corp Edition.

I think the confusion about the file size comes from the way Windows displays the size differently depending on where you look at the filesize:

This picture shows 2 different filesizes for the same file.

I have no problems to report with using SP2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast