Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Moore's Acceptance Speech

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I think Michael Moore was justified in saying what he did at such an occasion. He has had to go to Canada to get funding for his films and when no US broadcasters were willing to show his TV program, he made it in the UK. He will very rarely get a chance to address an audience like the one on Sunday night (one that isn't used to views such as his), so I can't blame him for grabbing that opportunity.

You find it disgusting that he doesn't agree with the establishment?! Surely there is nothing wrong with that? That's the basis of free speech and democracy.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    imported_el-producto
    I've never liked that fat ass Michael Moore because of his know it all attitude that he always seems to have and his opinions...

He should of kept that shit to himself yesterday. "Shame on you blah blah BS..". What the fuck? This guy and that ugly hoe Janeane Garofalo really piss me off with their lame liberal views..right next to Jello Biafra. The war wont even affect their rich asses

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Skillian@24 March 2003 - 19:01
    You find it disgusting that he doesn't agree with the establishment?! Surely there is nothing wrong with that? That's the basis of free speech and democracy.
    yes, i like to say, "in America, you have freedom of choice, you have the right to leave, so if you don't like it, get the fuck out!

go live in Canada (and i mean that in a good way)

edit: typos

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    ClubDiggler's Avatar Poster
    "Infested Cats" above said it right.

Besides just one more point:

I was watching the Oscars to take my mind off the War for a
    couple of hours and not have every over-opinionated asshole
    make disstasteful remarks about it.

(Bono)

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The war wont even affect their rich asses 
    But he still cares enough to talk about it. It is not a good thing to ignore it cos it won't affect you personally.

in America, you have freedom of choice, you have the right to leave, so if you don't like it, get the fuck out!
    He has said many times he loves the country he lives in, just not the people running it. Freedom of choice is is not "if you don't like it, get out" - it's the ability to speak out against the things you don't like and maybe even change them. That's why you have elections, otherwise you'd have the same president and everyone who didn't like him would leave. That's a dictatorship.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Skillian@25 March 2003 - 05:36
    The war wont even affect their rich asses
    But he still cares enough to talk about it. It is not a good thing to ignore it cos it won't affect you personally.

in America, you have freedom of choice, you have the right to leave, so if you don't like it, get the fuck out!
    He has said many times he loves the country he lives in, just not the people running it. Freedom of choice is is not "if you don't like it, get out" - it's the ability to speak out against the things you don't like and maybe even change them. That's why you have elections, otherwise you'd have the same president and everyone who didn't like him would leave. That's a dictatorship.
    What about the people who said if Dubya got elected, they'd leave the country?
    If his tax cut passes, they'd leave the country?
    If we go to war, they'd leave the country?

Alex Baldwin, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Robert Redford, et. al. are, and have been, free to leave the country for some time now, yet they prefer to remain here, free, and expect the hoi polloi to hang on their every word as gospel. I am still hanging on the "I'm gonna leave" statements they all made. How come they don't get called on this? They stay, and whine about how "they have rights, too".

Buncha fuckin' tube-steaks. Indefensible.

Michael Moore is a fat-fuck know-nothing, and THAT is the truth.

He IS entitled to his opinion; is he entitled to a microphone and a television audience?

I have rights, too.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    Micheal Moore makes entertaining movies, and his Roger & Me was really good at pointing out the facts about where he grew up.

Then he had his t.v. series that was pretty entertaining. He has the talent of interviewing people he wants to look bad and having them look bad.

Some of what he had to say in Bowling for columbine was great stuff, but the thing that really bugs me about him is the obviousness of his editing. When he left Charlton Hestons house at the end of the movie and made it a point to act all upset and then left the picture of that little girl I decided I really didn't like him all that much anymore.

It was one of those moments where his leading interviews, feigned sadness and snappy editing suddenly added up. Then again you don't ahve to like the artist to like the product. I thought Bowling for columbine did have a lot of pertinent thoughts in it, but then again it also missed widely on some points and I didn't think that made it a great movie at all, just a pretty good one.

His speech I missed and only read some parts of it.

Here is my thought on it- they are all sell outs, all of them.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    Michael Moore? Is that the fat guy who had that speech at the awards? I saw it on the news. I refused to watch a bunch of actors who are pro-terrorists. I watched the news the entire time.

If you don't like it, leave the country (USA). It is time to support the soldiers. Too late to portest the war, it has already started. No matter who is president of the USA, it was bound to happen. The wimpy countries around Iraq are not in any capable condition to fight, liberate and free Iraq's people. They'd rather sit back, watch and complain. Or, they'd rather involve themselves in shakey money deals and trading with Sadam. Sadam represents TERROR. He supports terrorists, terrorists operations, weapons and other evil activities. Don't give me "the media lies" crap. I have digital cable (satellite), and a dozen media sources that I have watched aren't 100% wrong all of the time.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    No, certainly not 100%.
    I just heard that parts of the 51st division of the Iraq army are defending Basra. So, if the media weren't lying that must be POW whom the coalition forces placed inside the town after they surrendered.

And finally the Iraqui expatriates are returning to Iraq to take up arms and join the struggle (the news (BBC world) said 5000). They are Saddam's enemies. Unfortunately, they don't share your opinion and are going to fight the American and British troops. I am just curious, what are the US media making out of this? We are just getting CNN Europe here, and they haven't mentioned that yet.

Apart from that I didn't like the way Michael Moore made his statement, but I think telling people who have a different opinion to leave the country isn't particularly democratic - is that the type of democracy you are trying to bring to the Iraqui people?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Originally posted by kAb@25 March 2003 - 05:01

yes, i like to say, "in America, you have freedom of choice, you have the right to leave, so if you don't like it, get the fuck out!

I already have (although not because I don't like it)

But I am curious. Will you follow your own advice when things don't go the way you like?

I have heard plenty of people say similar things, but it seems that it only applies to the other guy
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast