Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homeland Security in the U.S.

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The guy took 8 paragraphs to get to Arabs and Muslims, and even then he beats about the bush. Why doesn't he just say what he really thinks?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I'm all for internment of anyone that poses a genuine threat to our security...but that's where the buck stops. I absolutely hold firm the theory of innocent until proven guilty and the right to appeal detention and demand trial is absolute. Yes detain genuine threats...but it goes against everything that the USA is supposed to stand for and indeed preeches to everyone else to do it without trial or the right to trial.
    Holding innocent people is called kidnapping and is on the same level as we accuse dictators of.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I'm all for internment of anyone that poses a genuine threat to our security...but that's where the buck stops. I absolutely hold firm the theory of innocent until proven guilty and the right to appeal detention and demand trial is absolute. Yes detain genuine threats...but it goes against everything that the USA is supposed to stand for and indeed preeches to everyone else to do it without trial or the right to trial.
    Holding innocent people is called kidnapping and is on the same level as we accuse dictators of.
    During WWII, anent matters of national security, the U.S. WAS a dictatorship, vid.

The potential for death and destruction posed by terrorism is on a parallel, at least insofar as it would be conducted on our own soil by an enemy without a uniform to so neatly clue his identity.

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, but no one has yet proposed internment here, merely a few measures in airports and other points of ingress/egress which have rather unfortunately been tainted by the reference of "profiling".

I would beg to differ with any who would suggest such is tantamount to internment.

After all, we are beset by Muslim fundamentalists, not Swedish nuns.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I have just received this in my E-Mail.

Homeland Security Threat

This morning--from a cave somewhere in Pakistan--Taliban Minister of Migration, Mohammed Omar, warned the United States that if military action against Iraq continues, Taliban authorities will cut off America's supply of convenience store managers.

If this action does not yield satisfactory results, cab drivers will be next.

It's getting ugly.

The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I have just received this in my E-Mail.

Homeland Security Threat

This morning--from a cave somewhere in Pakistan--Taliban Minister of Migration, Mohammed Omar, warned the United States that if military action against Iraq continues, Taliban authorities will cut off America's supply of convenience store managers.

If this action does not yield satisfactory results, cab drivers will be next.

It's getting ugly.

Empty threats...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12