Thread: Max frames to render ahead

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5

Surprised/Amazed

its an option in my geforce settings by default its set to 3. What does this do and what should it be set to?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    It is the number of frames it gets ready before it needs to display them. It prevents the system from getting jerky by not having a frame ready when something else uses the cpu/bus, but of course it uses up memory (but I'm not sure if this is main memory or graphics memory).

If set too high I suppose it could cause response lag because it has already prepared the next frames, but I doubt that would be a problem unless you set it to something like half the frame rate.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I leave that at 3. if you go higher then when you press a keyboard button it takes a while until something actually happens (in games).

when you put it lower you get less FPS.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I see. Some guy told me when i was playing a game if i set it too high it would burn up my vid card what if i set it to like 100 or 200? would it be ok?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mofos
    I see. Some guy told me when i was playing a game if i set it too high it would burn up my vid card what if i set it to like 100 or 200? would it be ok?
    ya it would be fine just very laggy...you press a key and 10 seconds later it replys.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ok then. What does Vertical sync do and should it be on?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mofos
    ok then. What does Vertical sync do and should it be on?
    usually it makes the FPS go in sync with your refresh rate or somehting like that...basically it locks it at 30fps.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I see.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Vsync locks it at the refresh rate of the monitor at the current res. It is usualy 60fps if your card can do it and the monitor can as well

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Vsync does NOT lock FPS to refresh rate.

In some situations if the frame buffer is updated while the monitor is being refreshed you can get part of one frame and part of the next frame displayed at the same time, and this is particularly noticeable if you've got a slow frame rate and/or interleaved refresh.

Vsync simply prevents the frame buffer from being updated while a refresh is occurring. In practice, this often sets the frame rate so that it is a multiple of the refresh rate (if you've got a high frame rate), or the refresh rate is a multiple of the frame rate (if a low frame rate), but that is simply a by-product.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.