Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 Ntfs File System?!?

ok what are the specs for windows 2000? cause my computers running it really slow...when i installed it it asked if i want to upgrade to an ntfs file system so it not fat32 anymore i don't think would that be the reason for the slow down???and what are the specs for winme cause i don't want to go back to 98 but my computer hasnt been able to run 2000 very well and cant run xp at all cause its slow and i have hardware issues!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    NTFS is overall slightly slower than FAT32, but it makes up in other areas that would prolly take a while to explain.

windows XP and windows 2000 are the same system, basically. there are a few very slight differences, but XP is essentially 2000 with fancier visuals which do cause old computers to run slower. it is possible to make XP faster by turning off the visual effects so that it becomes almost exactly the same as 2000.

if your computer is too old to run 2000/XP at a satisfactory speed, you may find it more desirable to just back your files up, reformat, and install 98/ME instead (98 and ME are essentially the same). personally i think 2000/XP is more reliable and less headache-inducing than 98/ME, but you do need a fairly modern computer (i'd estimate 2 years old or newer) to use 2000/XP or it will just run like a three-legged dog.

if you're not familiar with the idea of disk fragmentation, this could be the cause of your computer's poor performance. fragmentation is basically the result of the hard drive being filled up with files and not having enough large, open areas in which to create and move large files at normal speed. you may want to try defragmenting the hard drive (this applies to 98, ME, 2000, and XP)... which takes several hours to shove all of your files toward one end of the hard drive so that the system in a sense has more room to breathe and circulate.

oh, and 2000/XP needs more RAM. 128mb of ram is acceptable for 98/ME, but for 2000/XP you should have at least 256mb (and 512mb is even better, as 2000/XP really can make use of it).

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by freak@25 March 2003 - 16:19
    ok what are the specs for windows 2000? cause my computers running it really slow...when i installed it it asked if i want to upgrade to an ntfs file system so it not fat32 anymore i don't think would that be the reason for the slow down???and what are the specs for winme cause i don't want to go back to 98 but my computer hasnt been able to run 2000 very well and cant run xp at all cause its slow and i have hardware issues!
    Basicly. NTFS allows better security, speed, and file storage itself.
    Files stored on NTFS take up less space too. (the size on disk is same than the file size)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ok well i just reformated my hard drive so i don't need to do disk fragment...windows 98 works fine and i have 64mb of ram but im not going to bother upgrading cause im building a new computer and its not quit finished yet so i guess i'll downgrade...So Me is basicly the same as win 98 right? if so it should run fine on my system!is there a way i can go to the ntfs file system on ME???

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Windows 98/ME will not run using ntfs.

DON'T use ME - it's less stable than 98SE and it's slower!
    Most people don't like the overcliched UI either.
    I'd go with Win98SE and make sure you use Cacheman to improve performance and stability.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Do yourself a big favor and get more RAM. Adding a 256MB stick will do wonders and wont dent your pocket that much. Then your computer will be able to run win2k/XP much better.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i would but seeing as how im building a new computer i not going to bother upgrading this one its pointless this is a temp pc tell i get mine built...Whats wrong with ME i've never had a problem using it in the past?!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    ME is trash, probably the worse thing MS ever made.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ex-member
    and that's saying something!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    hmm well i've never had a problem useing it in the past can someone help me find a copy on kazaa or does someone have an ftp address i can get it at i already have all the other os's and would like to add this version id also like to test it again maybe i was just lucky in the past by not having any problems?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast