Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick ass DVD player...

NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Okay, maybe this belongs in hardwareworld, but as it's relating to movies, I'm posting it here.

I just picked up a new DVD player, I was specifically looking for one that would play PAL DVDs, and possibly DivX movies as well. I got the Phillips DVP 642, it was less than $100 CDN at WalMart, and this sucker plays everything. DivX, XviD, VCD, SVCD, MP3, NTSC, PAL, all regions, all brands of DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CDR, and CDRW I've thrown at it.

I was a little annoyed, because they had them in at factory direct a couple days ago, for $70, but I didn't have any money then, and they were sold out of them today. But I saved $20 in gas by not having to drive to Toronto, so I suppose it works out in the end...

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Well if it didn't come with hte latest firmware here you go http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&ctn=DVP642/17 for the dvp642-17..This player is great NikkiD ..Its so wonderful to burn 11 eps of dead like me on 1 dvd and watch them on tv..I burn all my files as data.NO more converting All the svcd's and vcd's I extract the mpeg's and burn ..Mix them up avi's mpeg's, no problem.The only issues I have so far is slow fast fwd rewind only 8x..Another little trick with a finicky xvid (colour off abit or sound off abit) is to press the system menu button while playing the movie..Have a look here http://forums.divx.com/viewforum.php?forum=21 and http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....y=Name&hits=25 ENJOY...

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Retired
    KiSS has also very good DVD players

( Full DVD/MPEG-4/DivX/XviD/CD/MP3/Ogg Vorbis/CD-RW/DVD+-RW compatibility
    40GB or 80GB Hard Disk )

http://www.kiss-technology.com/

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Very nice IKE.

I was able to find an online supplier that ships to Canada, but the price difference is HUGE, with the conversion to CDN $ it's almost 4 times as much. I do like the idea of having the built in hard drive as well for recording TV, similar to a Tivo, but most of the shows I watch I can download in a matter of a few minutes anyway.

EDIT: Okay this is farkin weird... is anyone else seeing this? My post is nested inside accat13's post... or is it just me?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Retired
    dunno what happend but I fixed it.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Hay where did my post go...But seriously no I just mentioned that That The Kiss player is nice but a little to pricey and hard to find in Canada...

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Ive had that Philips for months now, got it for $69 and even posted awhile back. As for the XviD if it starts and looks mushy just hit the Menu key on the right twice and it clears up. Also holding Stop for a few seconds opens the tray. Anyway at that price you cant touch it for what it does...

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    muchspl2
    repost form 2 months, or is it three ...

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl2
    repost form 2 months, or is it three ...
    Well then they were either "misplaced" in one of the forum restores, or the search function on this board sucks.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    muchspl2
    yes several threads about this dvd player, along with my kvcd and vcd/svcd guides got the ax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast