Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Come My Computer Can Recognize my CPU?

Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    CPU Core Voltage 1.575 on the Power Supply Controller
    CPU Idle - 38C - 43C (wow pretty hot...)
    hmmm... but my system temp is like 25C
    Max CPU Temp - 48.5C (went for like 20 minutes and stays at like 48.5C)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm pretty sure that 1.575V is well above the default core voltage for that cpu which explains the higher temps. But you are probably going to have to go higher than that anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Next thing is to start raising the cpu frequency.
    I suggest you start at 200MHz external and 10x multiplier. Try that and check the temps again. If everything is ok, raise the multiplier to 10.5x and try again. Then try 11x and so on.

If it doesn't boot, you can set the original default parameters (which gave you 600MHz) by pressing the insert key as you turn the system on. You can then put the last settings in that you know worked (this is why you need to keep a log of what you've tried), and raise the core voltage by 0.025V. When you do this it is particularly important to check the temps before raising the frequency again, since increasing the voltage can produce big jumps in temperature.

If you get to 2.3GHz using this method, I suggest you try running it at full speed for a couple of hours, then switch off for half an hour to allow it to cool down. You should probably repeat this for at least 48 hours to give the thermal compound a chance to get to it's optimum working condition.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I'm pretty sure that 1.575V is well above the default core voltage for that cpu which explains the higher temps. But you are probably going to have to go higher than that anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Next thing is to start raising the cpu frequency.
    I suggest you start at 200MHz external and 10x multiplier. Try that and check the temps again. If everything is ok, raise the multiplier to 10.5x and try again. Then try 11x and so on.

If it doesn't boot, you can set the original default parameters (which gave you 600MHz) by pressing the insert key as you turn the system on. You can then put the last settings in that you know worked (this is why you need to keep a log of what you've tried), and raise the core voltage by 0.025V. When you do this it is particularly important to check the temps before raising the frequency again, since increasing the voltage can produce big jumps in temperature.

If you get to 2.3GHz using this method, I suggest you try running it at full speed for a couple of hours, then switch off for half an hour to allow it to cool down. You should probably repeat this for at least 48 hours to give the thermal compound a chance to get to it's optimum working condition.
    ok just succesfully got it to 2.3 GHz, i dont think i see a temperature change but gotta check just to be safe with sandra

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    ok wow the max temp went up pretty high.

Max Temp = 51C

just woundering what Celciuse is like high? at what celciuse should i be afraid of like overheat?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    51C is ok, but I'd prefer to see it lower than that. It will probably come down a little when the thermal compound has settled in.

Have you had to increase Vcore yet?

Anyway, just continue with the bedding in, you should see the temps drop back in a couple of days time, then you can try for higher speeds.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    ok so while i wait can i use my computer like play games, surf the web, install software, etc etc? and no i didn't increase the voltage. still at 1.575.
    Last edited by Monkeee; 10-12-2004 at 05:21 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123