Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem installing windows XP on new computer built for me.

Dry

I have just had a new computer built for me and have tried to install my original copy of XP onto it.When i do it goes to first screen and loads files then at bottom it says setup starting windows then it reboots and starts to go through the whole setup routine again.And so on.Normally it would reboot then you have to read and agree to the microsoft jargon by pressing f8,but for some bizarre reason on this new comp it does not get to that screen.The specs for the comp are:
    DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(motherboard)
    2800+AMD Athlon
    80 gig WD7200
    120gig Seagate7200
    512mbDDR Ram
    Geforce 4 MX440(crap card i know)

Now all this was built from new and i want to install my original copy of XP,but cant.Any help from someone would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    So it starts up. Setup starts. It copies files. Then it restarts and does it all over again?

You are probably pressing a key when it says to "press key to boot from cd".
    After the restart you aren't supposed to press the key, you let windows boot on it's own.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSSCO_2004
    So it starts up. Setup starts. It copies files. Then it restarts and does it all over again?

You are probably pressing a key when it says to "press key to boot from cd".
    After the restart you aren't supposed to press the key, you let windows boot on it's own.
    Yes you are right in what you say its doing but i am not pressing any keys when it says as i know that i need to let windows continuing installing.Have installed many copies of XP before but as i say this computer has been built for me today and the copy of XP is ogrigianl..And am too impatient to wait till monday to ring the technical helpline...doing my head in it is...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You sure? In order to make it boot from the cd you need to press a key.

Anyway try after the first restart going into your bios and finding where you choose the boot order and make hard drive come first on the list.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You sure? In order to make it boot from the cd you need to press a key.

Anyway try after the first restart going into your bios and finding where you choose the boot order and make hard drive come first on the list.
    I sure am sure

Will try what you suggest..many thanks for your speedy responses.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ok just tried what you suggested it was setup like this:
    1st bootdevice-floppy
    2nd boot device-cd rom
    3rd boot device-HDD

So i changed it to boot from HDD first and it just booted up backed up CMOS then just did nothing.So i installed again and same thing happened,just boots to cd rom again and not continue installing winXP...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The HDD is detected during post\in the bios right?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    The HDD is detected during post\in the bios right?
    I dont understand what you mean,could you explain better please?Too many bottles of beer are now playing havoc with my head,maybe time i head upto bed and tackle this tomorrow...
    Last edited by jang; 10-09-2004 at 10:18 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    POST is the screen you get when teh computer turns on. It usually tells you the amount of ram, cpu, and lists all of your drives that you have installed.
    Is the hard drive listed here?

Also look in the bios\cmos to see if the hard drive is listed somewhere in there.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I have had this issue happen before (quite a long time ago).

The problem was the graphics card. I tried the installation after changing the card to an old PCI card and then it would continue past the "Starting Windows" message. After the installation was complete I reinstalled the 'problem' graphics card and everything worked. I have no idea why the setup wouldn't get passed that point. I even tried having the card replaced from where it was puchaced but even the replacement card did the same thing.

The card I was using was a Asus GeForce2 MX-400.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast