Thread: Generic Host disconnecting Internet

Poster
    Every time i connect to the Internet with BT Broadband, after a couple of minutes i get a Generic Host error report and the Internet disconnects. I'm on XP, does anyone know what i can do to stop this happening?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    dude..sounds like u got a virus or something. That happend to me when I got infrected with the MS Blaster Worm. I suggest u get SpyBot Search and Destroy...Adaware,A Virus protection software like McAfee, AVG or Norton, a Firewall, and if ur on XP upgrade all ur patches. If that doesnt work..try dling a Stinger from Mcafee, that always works...and from now on, use Firefox or something.

Da Numba1Xclusive King

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I'm already using Firefox, and i have both AVG and Adaware installed on my laptop...the Stinger from Mcafee sounds like the best idea.

Thanks

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    This sounds like a problem I used to have around 6-9 months ago

I am only guessing but are you using a BTVoyager100 modem? If so it's cheap and nasty, you may need to ditch it altho' when I installed SP1 the problems subsided somewhat.

I ended up getting a new modem.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Yes, i have the BTVoyager100 modem (came when i signed up for broadband), looks like it's a new modem i need then.

Thanks a lot

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I had this problem with a Surfboard Cable Modem earlier in the year, so i dont think its that.

It was a Trojan, and I ended up reformatting

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yes, certainly look for other virus causes, it's what I did. However the problems continued over a period of what seemed like years but was only 3 months. I read up on the BTVoyager100 and it is a common problem, there isn't a lot of good said about it anywhere, other than it's free when you sign up.

Updating and re-installing the drivers worked as a brief respite but that never actually cured the disconnecting problem. No problems at all since I switched hardware
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

My Blog
    I'm still here.