Thread: Remember Limbo? the Pope Has Not Forgotten It

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Remember limbo, that place where the Catholic Church teaches that babies go if they die before being baptized because they do not deserve either heaven or hell?

Pope John Paul showed on Thursday that he still muses about one of the more forgotten elements of Catholic theology commonly associated with medieval thinking.

He asked theologians to think about it harder and come up with "a more coherent and enlightened way" of describing the fate of such innocents.

According to Catholic teaching, baptism removes the original sin which has stained all souls since the fall from grace in the Garden of Eden.

The Pope made his comments in an address to the International Theological Commission, which is discussing, in the Pope's words "the fate of babies born without baptism." Limbo, which comes from the Latin word meaning "border" or "edge," is a state or place reserved for the unbaptized dead, including good people who lived before the first coming of Christ.

In the Divine Comedy, Dante passes limbo on his way into hell and writes:

"Great grief seized on my own heart when this I heard, Because some people of much worthiness I knew, who in Limbo were suspended."

Source

I didn't know they were still making this stuff up,I figured they had their story done and done

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Another theologion debate...

I hates these ones...

There is no Limbo, I refuse to believe that any God/Goddess that would create such a place for those that did not worship him/her in the "Correct Way", especially if they did not have the chance too...

....even deserves to be worshipped.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    As stated numerous times i am a non believer, but this is where i would have to say that if i was a believer in god i would certainly not be a believer in religion.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I was wondering what had happened to limbo a few months ago, actually.

Are they deciding a "new" limbo? Very odd.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t