Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Reeve has died

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Actor Christopher Reeve has died at the age of 52, a day after lapsing into a coma, his publicist tells CNN.

No more yet. I thought he was doing better. Really sad
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. Lounge   -   #2
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen has made his legs and arms stronger. He has also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

CNN
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Christopher Reeves may be dead but as "Superman" he will live forever,may he fly forever.
    Blessed Be

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

Another one gone.

A Brave man, and inspiration.

RIP

Blessed Be

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. Lounge   -   #5
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    That guy had a hard ending, tough man - respect

6. Lounge   -   #6
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I always thought it was quite Ironic what happend to him, considering he is Superman and all.
    Very sad tho, brave guy, fought hard and for the most part was winning his fight, the guy done a lot of good too.
    I think it's safe to say that he made his mark in history, a good mark at that, brought hope and happiness to kids and adults alike across the globe and even after the accident he strived to make this a better place.

Rest In Peace.

Jon
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

7. Lounge   -   #7
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    RIP Superman...brave, daring, and fighting for right against wrong....as an actor he played the role. After the accident, he lived the role...

Total respect.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Rip..

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Kryptonite poisoning by any chance? I'll grab me coat...

Seriously, the campaigning he did for stem cell research was remarkable and hopefully his involvement can lead towards it being legal and helping many in the future

10. Lounge   -   #10
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    supermans gone fuck!!

r.i.p. superman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast