Thread: newsgroups...where are all the files??

hi all,
    just getting into the newsgroups thing today, got grabit and followed the faq - have got lists of messages from various binaries newsgroups, but there doesn't seem to be any files there (or very few)...am i missing something out of the equation?
    cheers,
    dave.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    what news server are you using?

if its the one that comes with your ISP then it maybe that they arent too good. Post who it is: its poss to find out what retention/completion they have - the marks of a good server
    <insert signature here>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    aaahhh, i suspected it might be that, as i saw a list of news servers you have to pay by the month for... i'm with tpg...is it worth paying the extra money for the news servers...? the only reason i'm looking at newsgroups is cause i got a nasty letter from tpg with an attachment from universal pictures in california about d/l copyrighted movies... not too worried but just trying to avoid any hassles so thought newsgroups might be the way..

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    newsgroups are really good

im lucky cos my ISP Plusnet ADSL, UK has an excellent server, around 5 days retention and ~90% completion..this means i always max out, and it is, as you point out, completely safe - no need for any stupid blocklists etc.

have a look around, see if there is an alternate isp in your area that offers good service; it may work out wise to change, else go with a pay one.

if you decide to pay for one, you can either get $xx per month for unlimited, or $xx per MB, lasts until you use it.

If your isp is half decent, it may be wise to go for $xx per MB: use your isp, then finish off with the premium server. if the isp is utterly crap, then go for monthly subs, and grab as much as you possibly can.

Good luck
    <insert signature here>

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Hi guys coulodn't help jumping in here, I hope I'm not going off topic sory if I am but I also got tagged from muy ISP in the UK (timewarp) with that letter freom California and was lookin at IRC as an alternative to get my films. So are you saying it is much safer than the torrents system?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Dales
    So are you saying it is much safer than the torrents system?
    Yep.
    And newsgroups are also the ones that get the new releases first.
    It's really no waste of money to subscribe to a newsserver like 'Easynews'(about 10$ per month for 18days retention).Whatever you're looking for,you'll find it,or can request for it,on newsgroups.

But,correct me if i'm wrong,not a bad idea to use proxys if you're using the newsserver of your ISP(just to be really on the safe side).

hmm...asspie

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    hmmm...sounds like the way of the future for us addicted to all that is downloadable... anyone know how to find out which news server is best... esp for me here in australia....?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    well i think youll need to google for your own countries providers, but im guessing that it wouldnt be such a bad thing for you to get one which is based in America.

OK, there is a chance of the speed going marginally (only like 1k) slower, but then again, the only people who could force americans to give out your details is american law, who would have little power over you in Aus, and Aus law wouldnt be able to get your details from america...if you get what i mean?

Anyhow, look around for providers and weigh up the pros and cons - prices etc. once you decide, take a look at Retention: how long they keep a file and Completion: how many % of the files are on their server.

take a look in the pinned NG guide for a great load of info (theres a link to a 3rd party guide in there which is pretty good)

<insert signature here>

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vivitron 15
    newsgroups are really good

and it is, as you point out, completely safe - no need for any stupid blocklists etc.

Good luck
    Are you sure about this? I posted a question in another thread asking about this against other p2p systems like Bittorrent and the reply was the opposite?
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83172

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I dont see what one post has to do with the other when one addresses safe and the other is about rentention although Ive replied in the other anyhow...