Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polls Show Worsening U.S. Reputation Worldwide

ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    LONDON (AP) - America's reputation around the world is hurting, according to a series of coordinated polls published Friday from 10 countries, including many of the United States' closest allies.

By big margins, those questioned said the war in Iraq did not aid the global fight against terrorism.

And in eight out of 10 nations, those polled said - often in landslide proportions - that they hoped to see Democrat John Kerry beat President Bush in next month's election. Bush won backing from a majority of respondents only in Russia and Israel.

The polls were conducted in Canada, France, Britain, Spain, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, Israel and Russia, with results to be published in the participating newspapers on Friday. Not all questions were asked in every country.

On average, 57 percent of those questioned said their opinions of America had worsened over the past two to three years, compared with 20 percent who said their view had improved. That question was asked in nine of the countries, but not in Russia.

Seventy-four percent of Japanese, 70 percent of French, 67 percent of South Koreans, 64 percent of Canadians and 60 percent of Spaniards said they had a worse opinion of America now than two to three years ago.

Only in Israel did more people say their view of the United States had improved than worsened in the past two to three years.

In that period, which began just after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the United States has led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. While much of the international community backed the invasion to oust the Taliban, Bush's decision to invade Iraq has fueled anger around the world.

Fifty-nine percent of people questioned in seven nations - including Britain, America's closest ally in Iraq - said the war there was not helping the world fight against terrorism, while 35 percent said it was, as Bush contends.

People in all 10 countries were asked who they hoped to see win the White House on Nov. 2, and the result will make Kerry wish they had a vote.

The Democrat was favored by healthy to enormous majorities in eight of the nations - 72 percent supported him, compared with 16 percent for Bush in France.

In South Korea, it was 68 percent for Kerry and 18 percent for Bush; in Canada, 60 percent to 20 percent; in Spain, 58 percent to 13 percent; in Australia 54 percent to 28 percent; and in Britain 50 percent to 22 percent.

Bush came out on top in Israel by a margin of 50 percent to 24 percent and in Russia, 52 percent to 48 percent.

The polls were conducted on different dates from September through early October.

Source

For those who wonder if your opinions are held by others...

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Isn't this what I've been saying for 2 years?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Come on; you will never see a country say "I love America!"...This isn't their country and any sensible country would like to see the largest one fall. This has always been other countries mindset...example; ask americans how thay view France, or ask Mexico how thay view Great Britain. All countries dislike other countries unless they do something in their national interest.

Thats whats so scary about Kerry relenting to the persuasion of other countries.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    Come on; you will never see a country say "I love America!"...This isn't their country and any sensible country would like to see the largest one fall. This has always been other countries mindset...example; ask americans how thay view France, or ask Mexico how thay view Great Britain. All countries dislike other countries unless they do something in their national interest.

Thats whats so scary about Kerry relenting to the persuasion of other countries.
    I wonder why. Hell, there are lots of people here not too pleased with our country and the direction it has taken.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    I wonder why. Hell, there are lots of people here not too pleased with our country and the direction it has taken.
    Like I said because were not doing things in their national interest.

How dare we pull up a dictator! It will ruin their oil contracts!!
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    News flash....the Bush regime is what? Democratic? Excuse me while I vomit. This is a totally corrupt administration, as is all it's little minions.

anywhichway

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster

Okay, let me get this clear. ... ... some polls are correct then?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    News flash....the Bush regime is what? Democratic? Excuse me while I vomit. This is a totally corrupt administration, as is all it's little minions.

lib sludge!

Bush regime....

Ruthie, you got your crazyness down to an art

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    lib sludge!

Bush regime....

Ruthie, you got your crazyness down to an art
    Well, if you are throwing around the word dictator........
    Just calling like I see it. CORRUPT

anywhichway

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

Actually, as one of your own Republican Senators pointed out last year... The young in the UK and most of Europe used to look to the USA for their example, not their own country.

This has only changed in last couple of years...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast