Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: martial arts in schools

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    As we ate our evening meal yesterday my 5 year old told me that she did Karate in school, which was a bit of a suprise to me as i have not seen any permission slips for such an activity.
    I asked her what she did and she said "i had to kick the teacher in the belly."

I then asked her if they told her it was wrong to hit people (which i have tried to instill in my children) and her reply was " they said we musn't hit the other kids in school while the teacher is looking".

So today i took time off and visited the school to discuss the merits of such a program and my concerns.
    I spoke to the instructors (professional instructors that run a school here) and the coach who admitted he should have checked with the parents before taking an after school activity into the daytime, but said that they tell the children that it is only for self defence against "bad people" and "bullies"

My concerns were that a 5 year old doesn't comprehend that they shouldn't go around kicking people after they have been told to kick the instructor....(evedently many kids were "kung foo fighting" on the school bus journey home)

I have to say i like the teaching of "not talking to strangers" in schools...it back me up on what i tell the kids but it made my blood boil the way that profesionals didn't think of the can of worms they could be opening and didn't bother checking with the parents first.

do i sound unreasonable?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    As we ate our evening meal yesterday my 5 year old told me that she did Karate in school, which was a bit of a suprise to me as i have not seen any permission slips for such an activity.
    I asked her what she did and she said "i had to kick the teacher in the belly."

I then asked her if they told her it was wrong to hit people (which i have tried to instill in my children) and her reply was " they said we musn't hit the other kids in school while the teacher is looking".

So today i took time off and visited the school to discuss the merits of such a program and my concerns.
    I spoke to the instructors (professional instructors that run a school here) and the coach who admitted he should have checked with the parents before taking an after school activity into the daytime, but said that they tell the children that it is only for self defence against "bad people" and "bullies"

My concerns were that a 5 year old doesn't comprehend that they shouldn't go around kicking people after they have been told to kick the instructor....(evedently many kids were "kung foo fighting" on the school bus journey home)

I have to say i like the teaching of "not talking to strangers" in schools...it back me up on what i tell the kids but it made my blood boil the way that profesionals didn't think of the can of worms they could be opening and didn't bother checking with the parents first.

do i sound unreasonable?
    I think it is totally reasonable to expect to be consulted, as well as give permission for your kid to participate in any extra-curricular activity, which this was. You are correct...a 5 yr. old does not have the capacity to understand any of this. I think it's great you went to the school to discuss this. I would have done the same thing. I wonder how many other parents are aware of what is going on.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    i think teaching "kata" would actually be okay. kata is an extremely slowed-down, non-combative form of martial arts practice. it looks more like slow-motion dancing/aerobics than fighting. martial arts experts use kata as a way to meditate, practice their movements, as a stretching exercise, etc... but it's also something that regular people can do, even children and elderly folk.

teaching the kids how to fight, though? doesn't sound like a good idea to me. least not till they're old enough for the more "hardcore" sports like football and wrestling.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Karate is an example of self-defense, I don't get the excitement.

Before the age of 5, I watched the coyote attempt to drop cement blocks and such on the roadrunner and I, like most other boys and girls, could differentiate fantasy from reality.

In gym class, the teacher would spank the "birthday boy" with a padded cushion and the class would count out the hits. We then went on to play dodgeball.

My parents never signed a release that allowed me to throw balls at peoples' heads.

I can't recall any ill effect from this.

All it took was one Bruce Lee movie to have us all imitating him.

Bottom line: Kids who engage in physical activity in a structured gym class don't go around kicking people outside this context unless they have had no guidance on appropriate behavior at home or are "acting out" because they are distressed.

By the latter, I have a personal example. I was sent to a day care, at the age of 3, that was run by a crazy nun. she would make me sit in a corner all day for no reason. I started to spit in the car when my Mother picked me up. She recognized this bizarre behavior and soon found the source. Kids act out when words fail them. I didn't know that the lady was crazy, I just knew that she upset me.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    We had that but in grade 7 and 8 at my school.

Then in grade 9 but i couldn't do it due to broken leg then some kid broke his leg to during that karate class so we became friends in gym sicne both of use had to sit out most of the year.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Hobbes
    you say
    Karate is an example of self-defense, I don't get the excitement.
    to an adult that is clear (supposedly) but do you honestly think a 5 year old can be so clear on that point?
    So you think it's ok for a child that has been told all it's life by its parents that it's wrong to hit people to suddenly be taught at school...a 5 year old...to kick someone in the belly? not just taught how but be told to actually kick someone in the belly.

It doesn't matter what has been instilled in them by their parents...children will be naughty....especially when they are in groups... i don't give a crap about your "well i watched it on tv"...this isn't tv...it's school....you cannot excuse one thing by saying "well something else happens"....if we did there would be no laws.
    But as you say, well if a kid (a 5 year old) misbehaves, it because of lack of parental guidance...well what if my child does behave...but it's in a group with one that doesn't...one that likes to practice this new skill on the others?

you said you emulated bruce lee...so you must agree that kids will emulate what they are told at school...you made the point i am getting at

If i found any teacher paddled my girls behind as you said i would have that teachers ass out of a job faster than you can say "you dumb fuck"

This isn't a school activity...it wasn't approved by the parents.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    I agree with Vid. I was constantly at the kids schools, making waves. As far as I was concerned, don't fuck with my kid. I would think the last thing the school would want to encourage is this activity....especially in children so young. there is enough aggression in our societies already, and I think it's important to teach our kids about non-violence. It isn't OK to hit or kick anyone.
    And the paddling? I would also have had that teacher out in a second, and probbly would have sued the school.

anywhichway

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Yeah, a 5 year old should be able to understand this. I said it the first time.

Why should you need a permission slip to learn to defend yourself and not to throw balls at someones head in dodgeball?

The "spanking" was fun. No one objected, no one grew up to be a sociopathic paddler.

As I clearly stated, cartoons that depict violence do NOT begat violence. Even 5 year olds understand the difference between cartoon violence and reality.

You two need to listen to "Mother" by Pink Floyd".

I really need to understand why the paddle offends you, my curiosity is peeked?
    Last edited by hobbes; 10-16-2004 at 04:19 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, dodgeball sure as shit wasn't fun for me. I was quite petie, and I got hurt. Kids target other kids they don't like, and try to hurt them. Surely you have witnessed that behavior in kids and adolescents. Bullying. Contact sports at that age aren't appropriate..and especially without a parent's permission.
    Maybe the spanking was OK for you, but I'm sure other kids were embarrassed by it. Perhaps, one of the kids rec. the birthday spanking was a kid abused at home. Think what that might have done to that kid.
    My rule was always..keep your hands off my kids, or there will be hell to pay

anywhichway

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Well, dodgeball sure as shit wasn't fun for me. I was quite petie, and I got hurt. Kids target other kids they don't like, and try to hurt them. Surely you have witnessed that behavior in kids and adolescents. Bullying. Contact sports at that age aren't appropriate..and especially without a parent's permission.
    Maybe the spanking was OK for you, but I'm sure other kids were embarrassed by it. Perhaps, one of the kids rec. the birthday spanking was a kid abused at home. Think what that might have done to that kid.
    My rule was always..keep your hands off my kids, or there will be hell to pay
    Ruthie,

Just to be perfectly clear. The paddle was foam rubber. Nobody was hurt. It was a theatric event and was enjoyed by the all. The person being spanked enjoyed the "moment in the sun". He would give false protestation and after he surrendered and would howl in false pain. Smiles were the order of the day.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast