Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: wine red or white or other?

manker's Avatar effendi
    This is beyond a joke.

Obviously the 'witches' burnt in medieval times were just regular people, if we are taking the mickey out of anyone it is the idiots who burnt them -- The English. Of course, it is fine to take the piss out of the English tho.

And the Welsh. I didn't notice any reprimands doled out when I get called a sheep fucker. Then again, I didn't take offence because I don't fuck sheep.

Given that we're not about to burn any Wiccans I don't think anyone has been out of order in this thread whatsoever.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    ElvisLover's Avatar Gepper #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Let me explain....

Wicca is a serious and recognised religion and an historically persecuted group.

By promoting (even joking) about the torture or abuse of witches (and you can insert your minority group of choice here) you are proliferating contining hostility towards this group.

If you are a member of this persecuted group, then clearly you would see it as offensive to have that group pilloried or put down, and would perhaps feel disturbed about joking references to the mistreatment of 'your people' even if you realised that it was ignorance rather than malice in its intent.

It makes no difference what 'group' you refer to, this could be Jews, Muslims, Wiccans, or Gays.

Does this help in the explanation?

Jedi is a recognised religion too after the census, can we not make anti jedi jokes?

You are making us out to be nasty people pouring scorn on a religion when we made a few light hearted jokes much like the scene in Monty Python search for the holy grail. Very tongue in cheek

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    No, however there are rules against Religious Discrimination..

Wicca is a religion... a witch is commonly regarded as a wiccan.

Ergo... Due to acts that were perpetrated against pagans, (Laws that were only repealed in the 1950's in the UK) it could be looked upon as similar to Jokes about the Holocaust to Jewish members...
    I’m pretty sure the Holocaust didn’t enter anyone’s mind when reading my childish post, it was all fun and games until your post It was more relevant to Sabrina the teenage witch – if that hasn’t been banned from our screens

...But things like “tis the devils work” is ok?

What about people who worship the devil, aren’t they going to be taken into consideration? They’re a minority group and it’s even religious. One of, if not the oldest too

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisLover
    do you really think we were discriminating a religion??
    No.

I can see the jokes, however Im no longer the only known wiccan on the board...

I know of a few now, and therefore have to enforce it the same way i would if you were Joking about the Holocaust or any other attrociaty.

I KNOW there was no malice involved by anyone...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. Lounge   -   #35
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    You see what Wine does to Threads......

blows them way off topic

now where where wear were we?

ah yes

Vino Bianco

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia
    ...But things like “tis the devils work” is ok?

What about people who worship the devil, aren’t they going to be taken into consideration? They’re a minority group and it’s even religious. One of, if not the oldest too
    Satanism is an offshoot of Christianity, as they are the ones that introduced Satan...

"The Devils Work" isnt against satanism... Its about like "Gods Will" I would expect...

However, I dont believe Satanism is a recognised religion... or even legal in most places..

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    You see what Wine does to Threads......

blows them way off topic

now where where wear were we?

ah yes

Vino Bianco
    He’s speaking in tongues

Valid member of society!!!

Welcome him!

8. Lounge   -   #38
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'm sorry, we were calling Gurahl a witch because he speaks French.

We were being deliberately obtuse because it's a parody of the Monty Python scene.

I really do NOT think there is anything whatsoever offensive about that.

Or is there? Enlighten me.

Is it as offensive as being called a sheepfucker.

There is being considerate of other's feelings and then there is going way OTT and creating a problem where there is none. I do not believe for a second that any Wiccans that frequent the board would have been even mildly offended by that.

As I don't get offended in the slightest at being called a sheepfucker. Even though that is much more of a perpetuated stereotype than a wiccan being burned.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Give it up RF, as Manker said the welsh take sheep jokes, Christians take all kinds of jokes, as do other religions groups ect

And they take it all in their stride and know it’s jokingly

Is Wicca above all this? ( Despite nothing really being said against it in the first place )

10. Lounge   -   #40
    I only asked you lot to cool it and go easy...

If i get no complaints i dont care..

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast