Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ripping To .mp3

fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    The idea behind this thread was to hopefully make
    a more beginner friendly guide to ripping quality audio,
    and to offer more options for doing so.

Thanks to all who have supported this thread with their ideas.

NOTE
    All posts in this sticky are different users'
    opinions/experiences with different ripping tools.
    As it all boils down to personal preference,
    it is up to you to decide whats best for you.

Why .mp3? Its the most compatable compressed audio format around.
    (compression and compatability are key)
    I've yet to see a media player that does not support .mp3 playback by default.
    And compression is needed because CD audio and .wav files
    are generally 7 to 10 times larger than .mp3 files.

FKDUP's ripper.......
    dBpowerAMP
    n00b friendly, yet fast and reilable,
    has multiple codec support (which are free at their site)
    and can be tweaked to rip with the best
    and its FREE, so no more excuses to try and share .wma or .ra!

FKDUP's encoder......
    LAME encoder
    intergrated into dbPoweramp
    (some apps require that you add this separately)
    and xing encoded songs suck ass compared to LAME

FKDUP's settings.....
    MINIMUM 192 kb/s CBR
    (In tight communities such as Slsk, this is the bare minimum.)
    128's suck, nobody wants em.

Lots of ppl are moving to VBR (variable bitrate) for better quality with less size.
    Theres an explanation in Paul's sticky about the benefits of VBR.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=22763
    And also further along in this thread is an explanation by summerlinda.

B)
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Nice Post...

Samurai's Suggestions...

Samurai's Ripper

FreeRip 2.60

FreeRip is a freeware application that let you save audio CD tracks to Wav or MP3 or Ogg Vorbis audio files. FreeRIP is also an audio file converter since it can convert and encode Wav files to Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) or MP3 (.mp3), and back.

FreeRIP is a CD ripper, this means that it can record digital audio tracks directly from audio CD to files on your hard drive (this process is known as "ripping"). You can save tracks as CD quality WAV files or encode them to Ogg Vorbis or MP3 compressed audio format.

Samurai's Encoder

See Above. FreeRip does this all for you.

Samurai's Settings

Default Encoding Format: MP3
    Mode: CBR (Constant Bitrate)
    Min Bitrate: 192
    Stereo/Mono: STEREO

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Yes, this is lookin Good. B)

Im about to Pin something here, but few questions first:

Should we have the Pinnes Closed so its not going to Explode to 1000 post
    festival with comments like "cool", "great", "nice"...
    I mean, it should only have the Guides innit, right?
    Nobody likes to go through a Thread when you need to crawl through a lot of
    posts to get the Info.

In the other hand, if i leave it open, them Authors could Edit them Guides
    if needed, kinda like keeping things up to date.

Spoiler: Show

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Yeah Slinger have it Closed like Pauls and only the Authors could Edit them.

Now does Pauls get added to them?What happens with his?

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    As some of you might know Ive been reading a lot about ripping lately [the damn forum still doesnt let me in ] And I did some testing and comparing also.

If youre serious about this and want nothing but the best Id recommend this site for some [a lot actually] reading Hydrogenaudio? & Comprehensive FAQ

I know, I know.... I always was a AudioGrabber fan, because EAC failed me too many times.
    I'm changing my mind however. I deleted the "Chris Myden way EAC" and reinstalled EAC [the normal way] And had no problems with it since. Its more complicated to set up then other rippers, true, but theres lots of good tutorials out there.

I still think AudioGrabber is one of the best [+ userfriendly, simple, choose from many settings and its freeware nowadays. etc] But from now I only gonna rip my cd's with EAC [--alt- preset extreme = 224-256 VBR]
    Its not like I hear any difference between my AudioGrabber and EAC rips, my ears are too bad for that, I trust on the experts in this case

Now shoot me

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    No thanks.dbpoweramp always for me.224 Bitrate(even though 192 is still good and really should be doing them at 256 or 320) CBR STEREO encoded with Lame 3.93.If you do not like it then do not have to Download it.I made them for my Ears anyways.

These Guides are for the Noobs.The rest of us our set in our ways.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    Originally posted by summerlinda@20 February 2004 - 09:37
    If youre serious about this and want nothing but the best Id recommend this site for some [a lot actually] reading Hydrogenaudio? & Comprehensive FAQ
    And are you saying we can not hang with these Guys?Tell them to bring it to MusicWorld!

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+20 February 2004 - 18:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN &#064; 20 February 2004 - 18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-summerlinda@20 February 2004 - 09:37
    And are you saying we can not hang with these Guys?Tell them to bring it to MusicWorld&#33;

[/b][/quote]
    You can have your Dbpoweramp :box:
    BTW, shouldnt you be in HardwareWorld fixing your PC problems?

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    not that anyone here USES kazaa. or shares files on fasttrack, BUT if you do, it&#39;s best to encode as VBR instead of CBR if encoding over 128kbs, so they will show up in searches for regular kazaa users.

my 2 cents d:

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    Originally posted by Vargas@20 February 2004 - 18:22
    not that anyone here USES kazaa. or shares files on fasttrack, BUT if you do, it&#39;s best to encode as VBR instead of CBR if encoding over 128kbs, so they will show up in searches for regular kazaa users.

my 2 cents d:
    Huh?
    Why? Can you search for VBR or CBR on Kazaa? I dont get it...

Anyway, the real reason why you should rip to VBR

Near the beginning and ending of a song (assuming it starts and ends softly), where the volume is lower, and the music is less &#39;demanding&#39; in terms of its encodability, it makes sense to drop the bit rate, simply because there&#39;s not much there to encode, and the wasted space is overkill. In the middle of the song, where it may be more complicated, the idea of giving the encoder the option of &#39;bumping up&#39; the rate on a frame-by-frame basis is great&#33; You may end up with a file that&#39;s the same overall size as a 192kbps CBR, but that uses frames as low as 32 on the really dead parts, and as high as 320 on the really tough parts. The bitrate is dynamically adapting to keep the quality constant. To know that the whole file isn&#39;t bloated where it isn&#39;t necessary, is a real bonus.
    Q: My friend says that VBR MP3s are better. I&#39;ve always encoded my MP3s with CBR, and I always thought that was better. Which one do you think is better? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

A: If you set your files to encode with CBR (constant bitrate) on a somewhat complex piece, quality will vary. If you set your file to encode with VBR (variable bitrate), the bitrate will vary but the quality won&#39;t.

Use CBR encoding to limit the size of the MP3 file or produce consistent and predictable file sizes. Use VBR for consistent audio quality, when you don&#39;t care about file size.

Most people encode MP3s in CBR because it has been around longer and maintains consistency in compression. In order to maintain constant bitrate throughout the file, difficult passages (for example, passages containing a relatively wide stereo separation), may be encoded with fewer than the optimal number of bits.

When encoding easy passages (for example, passages containing silence or a relatively narrow stereo separation), the encoder uses more bits than necessary in order to maintain the constant bitrate. Consequently, difficult passages may experience a decrease in quality, while easy passages may include unused bits.

VBR ensures consistently high-quality audio throughout an encoded file. It makes intelligent bit-allocation decisions throughout the encoding process based on a scale you set in the preferences. VBR produces an overall higher, more consistent quality level compared to CBR at similar bitrates.

Because a VBR-encoded MP3 file consists of variable bitrates throughout the file, you can&#39;t easily predict the MP3 file size. Don&#39;t use VBR encoding when you need to predict or limit the size of the MP3 file.

CBR/ABR/VBR: the 3 encoding modes

LAME is able to encode your music using one of its 3 encoding modes: constant bitrate (CBR), average bitrate (ABR) and variable bitrate (VBR).

Constant Bitrate (CBR)
    This is the default encoding mode, and also the most basic. In this mode, the bitrate will be the same for the whole file. It means that each part of your mp3 file will be using the same number of bits. The musical passage beeing a difficult one to encode or an easy one, the encoder will use the same bitrate, so the quality of your mp3 is variable. Complex parts will be of a lower quality than the easiest ones. The main advantage is that the final files size won&#39;t change and can be accurately predicted.

Average Bitrate (ABR)
    In this mode, you choose the encoder will maintain an average bitrate while using higher bitrates for the parts of your music that need more bits. The result will be of higher quality than CBR encoding but the average file size will remain predictible, so this mode is highly recommended over CBR. This encoding mode is similar to what is reffered as vbr in AAC or Liquid Audio (2 other compression technologies).

Variable bitrate (VBR)
    In this mode, you choose the desired quality on a sqale from 9 (lowest quality/biggest distortion) to 0 (highest quality/lowest distortion). Then encoder tries to maintain the given quality in the whole file by choosing the optimal number of bits to spend for each part of your music. The main advantage is that you are able to specify the quality level that you want to reach, but the inconvenient is that the final file size is totally unpredictible.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast