Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Editorial: Michael Moore's patriotism

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    An editorial
    October 17, 2004

Filmmaker Michael Moore is a controversial figure. The left loves him for having the courage to shine the light of truth on the abuses of power and privilege that have defined the past 3 years of American history.

For exactly the same reason, the right hates him. And most of America's elite media have a hard time figuring out what to do with him - they cannot dismiss the most successful documentary filmmaker in American history, yet they do not feel comfortable giving the man and his ideas the attention that is usually afforded so successful and broadly recognized a commentator on the Zeitgeist.

When Moore appears in Madison tonight, for an 8 p.m. get-out-the-vote rally at the Memorial Union Terrace, all of the passions and conundrums associated with the man who made the film "Fahrenheit 9/11" will be on display. There will be fans, there will be protesters, and there will be folks trying to make sense of the phenomenon. And, as is the case everywhere that Moore goes, there will be passionate debate about not just the issues of this election but the direction of this country.

Michael Moore tries hard to keep things light - and there is certainly a great deal of humor to be found in his films, books and public pronouncements. But he is not a joke. Indeed, the stir he has created nationally, and internationally, is worthy of note. In much of the world, Michael Moore is the best-known critic of the Bush administration's reign of error. And, frankly, we couldn't think of a better representative of American opposition to military adventurism, crony capitalism and democratic decay.

Yes, of course, there are even some of the left who would prefer that Moore be a little more cautious in his comments, a little more mainstream in his critique. There are a lot of liberals who get scared when their tribunes start talking too much about issues of race, class and empire building.

To our view, however, it is when Moore is blunt that he sounds most American.

This country was not founded by polite people. The American revolution did not follow Robert's Rules of Order. The America experiment was launched in revolt against the existing order, against corrupt kings and their equally corrupt business partners. Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and their kind rejected the divine right of kings; they did not believe that power should pass from one King George to another. And the best of their number, Tom Paine, preached the healing power of revolution - not just for America but for the world.

Fifty years after the minutemen of Lexington and Concord fired the shots heard 'round the world, Daniel Webster would look back at that event and suggest, "The great wheel of political revolution began to move in America."

Reading the writings of the founders and their true descendants is a lot like watching a Michael Moore film. Often, Moore seems to channel the founders. When Moore speaks against military misadventures like the U.S. occupation of oil-rich lands such as Iraq, he echoes the stern warning of Thomas Jefferson that "if there be one principle more deeply written than any other in the mind of every American, it is that we should have nothing to do with conquest."

And how similar are Moore's incitements against presidential war making to the observation of James Madison: "War is in fact the true nurse of executive aggrandizement. ... The strongest passions, and the most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venial love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace."

Nothing would horrify Moore's critics more than the suggestion that he might well be the best upholder of the revolutionary spirit in the current day - and thus the greatest patriot. But, then, Moore's critics tend to confuse patriotism with blind obedience. And if Jefferson and Madison teach us anything, it is that the true patriot must always stand against King George.
    from The Capital Times
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Seriously....

The article is a bunch of left wing unequivical bias a normal person would just skip over, or just raise a cheer for those who support it...

Ironicly; it's exactly Michael Moore's style...
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The followers of Moore exhibit a stunning naivete.

This besides the fact of his political and social relevance having just collapsed; most liberals missed the blessed event.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    The followers of Moore exhibit a stunning naivete.

This besides the fact of his political and social relevance having just collapsed; most liberals missed the blessed event.
    I haven't been interested either way.

Alas, either way he has hurt the Republican party undeniably.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I haven't been interested either way.

Alas, either way he has hurt the Republican party undeniably.

agreed. i also agree with manny, that article is leftwing leftovers, full of bias. and j2 u call moore supporters naive. i'm not a moore follower, but i know that bush followers are also naive. i pray that someone as intellectual as j2 isn't a naive person dear heavens no

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    agreed. i also agree with manny, that article is leftwing leftovers, full of bias. and j2 u call moore supporters naive. i'm not a moore follower, but i know that bush followers are also naive. i pray that someone as intellectual as j2 isn't a naive person dear heavens no
    Well......he is a Bush follower.

I was very surprised when I first found out too.
    It broke my heart.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Well......he is a Bush follower.

I was very surprised when I first found out too.
    It broke my heart.

as it did mine , but i've come to live with it....

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    For everything you need to know about Moore read the book in my Sig.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    While I am one to listen and take in what Moore has to say, even I can say that editorial was a little too left-wing for my liking

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    For everything you need to know about Moore read the book in my Sig.
    He can't be but so stupid.

As I said before, he has caused your party tons pain.

To say he hasn't is ludicrous so there had to be some intelligence there hmmm?

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast