Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Networking] URGENT HELP PLEASE!

lynx's Avatar .
    Further news: NTL do require you to register the mac address.

Details of what you need to do here. Even if you don't have the bbr1400 this still applies. You could go down the route of cloning the mac address, but it isn't really a good idea. What that page doesn't tell you is that you should really change the mac address of the network card in your pc aswell.

Might be worth a try though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Hi,

Thanks for the Links, i had a look on the Origo website and i couldnt see the one that's mine however i will take a picture later on today but this is the infomation about it.

Model: BRP-1400
    Name: 4 Port 10/100M Internet Broadband Router - With USB Print Server

Also from the MAC website it says:

ask them to register the new MAC address for you which is at the bottom of your Router

However i can't find a MAC address on the router. Will post more later on.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    The mac address is on a bar code label on the bottom (underneath). It is 12 hex digits long and will probably start 0009F3. You should also be able to get that info from the config in your browser.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    You should be able to see the router's Mac address by accessing it's admin page in your web browser.
    Most routers have a facility to clone the Mac address used by one of the PCs.
    It looks to me like the Mac of PC1 is registered so if you can get the router to use that as its WAN Mac and plug the cablemodem into the router's WAN socket, you should have it running.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    You should be able to see the router's Mac address by accessing it's admin page in your web browser.
    Most routers have a facility to clone the Mac address used by one of the PCs.
    It looks to me like the Mac of PC1 is registered so if you can get the router to use that as its WAN Mac and plug the cablemodem into the router's WAN socket, you should have it running.
    Well i can say that there is not a MAC address printer on the router, iv cheke dit for like 10 minutes and nothing that even looks like a MAC address. But i went into my router setting page and took a screenshot. Maybe you guys can make something out of this.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    The mac address is right there in front of you.

In case you aren't sure, your ISP would want the public one, it is 00-02-4f-75-0a-e7.

Can't see anywhere on that page where you could enter a mac address anyway. If I had to guess, I would look in Device Admin or Special Application

I'm not sure whether you want DHCP or PPPoE for getting the IP address, you will have to check with your ISP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    PPPoE asks for user name and password and my ISP (NTL) doesnt require tha stuff. I will check around to see if i can enter or clone a MAC address in about 10 minutes. im getting a file off of the internet and i dont want to have to start all over again. I also didnt know which was the router and which was my modem MAC.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Having thought about it, it must be DHCP, because that's what your pc expects.

The modem doesn't have a MAC address. The router has 2 MAC addresses, one for the WAN side (the public one) and one for the LAN side (the private one).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Having thought about it, it must be DHCP, because that's what your pc expects.

The modem doesn't have a MAC address. The router has 2 MAC addresses, one for the WAN side (the public one) and one for the LAN side (the private one).
    On the underside of my modem it has a MAC address, or is it when you are using a router that one is not used.

So i should hone up NTL and ask them to pair my router MAC address (00-02-4f-75-0a-e7) and my IP address?
    Last edited by peerzyboy; 10-23-2004 at 05:59 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sorry, I'm being a bit slow again.

Yes, your modem has a mac address, but that is for your network to see, not the ISP.

If you can't change the mac address on your router then you will have to get them to use that mac address instead of the one on your pc. Find out when they are likely to make the change, so that you can be ready for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast