Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual monitors

VIP...just ask any
    I installed a pci vid card for a dual monitor, and had a second monitor running fine for a bit (a week or two). When all of the sudden my machine rebooted, as if the power was interrupted. When the system loaded, the 2nd monitor wasn't working, and the drivers showed error. I un-installed the drivers, then re-installed them successfully. Now I turn on the second monitor, all I get is a partial blue screen, like a box off set from center. Is there something I'm missing during the install? Plug and play, right?

Anyone have any Ideas?

System:
    XP Home SP1
    1.6GHZ
    1.12 GB RAM

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    right click desktop>properties>settings make sure the second monitor is enabled.
    click advanced and look through those options to see if there is anything related to the second monitor.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    VIP...just ask any
    The second monitor doesn't show up there Rossco (now). It did before....the reboot. Now I don't see anything relating to a second monitor....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    What are the two video cards you are using? They may be incompatible.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    what brand of video card u have....I mean if its a piece of crap, then of course nething can fuck it up... nowadays however, AGP cards tend to do better than PCI cards for some fuckin reason....so if u dont ahve one, get an AGP card instead.

Da Numba1Xclusive King

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1xclusive
    what brand of video card u have....I mean if its a piece of crap, then of course nething can fuck it up... nowadays however, AGP cards tend to do better than PCI cards for some fuckin reason....so if u dont ahve one, get an AGP card instead.
    they'er better because not many new cards are made for pci...agp is faster...

and if he already has an agp card, or has no agp slot, then he can't just buy an agp card...

edit: for your signature change the code to this:
    PHP Code:
    [SIZE=5][FONT=Times][COLOR=red]Da Numba1Xclusive King[/COLOR][/font][/size
    Last edited by tesco; 10-24-2004 at 03:22 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    VIP...just ask any
    my AGP is GeForce mx 400 64mb
    and the PCI i'm trying to install is: RIVA TNT-2/M64 accelerator 32mb

Like I said, it worked for a while...and all of the sudden it rebooted. I was running photoshop cs and auto cad at the same time, so there was a draw in my RAM, i'm sure...but I do have 1.12 GB of RAM...I don't know if that relevant....

Could it be a power issue?...where do I check to see how much power i'm using? and how much power i'm capable of producing?

Thanx for the help Rossco

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you can't really check how much you're using (power) but you can see what the different voltage lines are giving. Go into your bios and you will find it in there somewhere.

What drivers are you installing? go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest and install them for both video cards.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    VIP...just ask any
    got the latest drivers...for both. I'll check the bios. I'm heading for the comp store for a new vid card.... Do you know of a PCI card? All I need it for is to read manuals, mainly text, so it does't need a bunch of ram....
    Any suggestions?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Another geforce 4....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast