Thread: IRC over P2P

Poster
    Ok maybe the title wasn't entirlely accurate but my question is what advantages does IRC have security wise over using say Bittorrent or other P2P programs?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Hello!

Security wise??

Its the other way around IRC are more dangerous then any P2P when downloading stuff due to the fact that it is extremely easy for any organisation to monitor IRC traffic!.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Well its rather clear that News is about as safe as it gets although IRC is not all that unsafe compared to other stuff like bt for example which is monitored very easily and people have perhaps just as many letters as anything else.

I dont think IRC is unsafe for dling at all, after all whos gonna know other than the person your dling from since its one to one compared to bt which anyone can see if your on a public tracker such as SN for example...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    So as an alternative way of dl movies inste\ad of bittorrent would be Newsgroups as apposed to IRC? sorry if all this sounds abit noobish but I have been tagged and am looking for another way of getting my films.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Newsgroups has no quenes and is done directly from a server so that your speeds will be maxed out. If you have the time to learn and you have acces to them on your ISP there is nothing better really. If you need a hand look in my sig and the post I have in the guide section...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    The problem is not all ISPs have good newserver eg the newsserver from my isp sucks. If you dont get a good server from your ISP you cant really use newsgroups unlless you pay.

IRC has been around for years and I never heard of a single user being sued. Additionally the only way to know your downloading a file is to serve it in the first place.
    Its much easier with every p2p app to get the IP of other users

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    IRC has been around since 1990-91.

The MPAA isn't monitoring IRC as much or we would be hearing about it in the news. I think they believe that most people are bootlegging music & movies via P2P networks such as those that Kazaa, Shareaza and Limewire use. Due to this, I also believe there's less chance of getting busted. This also applies to bittorrent as well, especially since it is relatively new.

my 2¢