How to download off the IRC network with mIRC 6.16
By Rip The Jacker/KrackHead2k
Last update: 02/06/05 02:12PM PST.
A. Getting and setting up mIRC
1. Download mIRC.
2. Open it.
3. If the options don't come up, click on Tools > OptionsYou get a 30 day trial. If you want a serial PM me. I've noticed a lot of people e-mail me asking for a serial. Do NOT e-mail me asking for a serial, use the PM button under this guide. I will NOT reply to your e-mail, I will only PM you the serial. Also, tell me what version of mIRC you have, so I could give you the right serial.
4. In CONNECT: Fill in the full name, email, nickname, and alternative.
(You can put anything, your email doesn't even have to be vaild.)
Should look like this:
5. In DCC: On send request: pick show get dialog, if file exits: ask.
On chat request: Ignore all
Should look like this:
6. In DCC > IGNORE: Method: Disabled.
Uncheck "turn ignore back on"
Should look like this:
If you don't do step 6 properly you'll get the following error:
"You have a DCC pending, Set your client to receive the transfer. (150 seconds remaining until timeout)"
7. Now your mIRC is set, close it.
B. Downloading files
Now this kinda the hard part, so I tried to provide some screenshots. The way to search for files are with DDC search engines, there are a lot, here are a few good ones:
Lets use IRCSpy right now and try and get some download started.
1. Go to IRCSpy.com (use IE!) and pick XDCC and search for something, like "Unreal Tournament 2004" for example.
2. At the top of the search results, where it says "Display offline bots", pick No.
Now let's say you wanna download the one I've circled in red. Here are the things you need to know.
In red: the file we want to download
In blue: the packet number
In purple: the file's size
In green: the file's description
In black: the no. of slots availible
3. Now, in slots it says 4/50, that means there is room for 4 more people to connect and get this file. So most likely files with zero slots won't work (These are not always up-to-date, this one was updated 32 minutes ago). You don't really need to worry about size, you'll almost never get a fake file.
4. Lets fire this baby up, with IE, click on the packet number (#12) This will open mIRC and copy the download command to your clipboard. Always use IE, so that the get file command is copied to your clipboard.
5. mIRC will open, and ask you if you want to connect to that IRC server, pick "change servers and join the channel", and click OK.
6. The main window will connect to the server, then open another chat window, the channel.
7. In that new chat window, right click, then paste the command, the send command will look something like this:
8. Paste that and hit enter, then whatever the bot responds with will be in dark red.
9. If the download works, you'll get a file warning window. Click OK.
10. Pick where you want to save it, and click accept.
THERE. If you followed this guide correctly, you should be sucessfully downloading a file with mIRC. Also, if you aren't successful, keep trying. It's hard to get the really new stuff, to find available slots and everything... so just keep trying, you'll get it.
C. Resuming Downloads
People often don't know how to resume downloads, it's very simple. To resume a download, simply try and download the same file again (must have same file name and extension). You can download the file from any server, doesn't have to be the same one, as long as the file is the same. mIRC will ask you if you want to resume the download, or overwrite the file.
D. Opening Strange File Types
OK, a lot of people are having problems trying to open their downloads. Most of the files on the IRC network are .tar files, these are opened with WinRAR/WinZIP. Inside the tar files, usually there will be many little files with numbered extentions (.001, .002, etc). These are small parts to a big archive. If there is no .rar file, use WinRAR/WinZIP. and open the ".001" file, then extract whatever is inside, it will start at the ".001" file and continue to extract from ".002" and ".003" until it finishes at the last part.
E. Advanced mIRC Guide
Well I hope this guide helped you out alot, I tried to make it as simple as possible. If you want to take mIRC to the next level, check the Advanced mIRC Guide by venom_il.
© Rip The Jacker/KrackHead2k
You may not edit this guide. You may not
use this guide on your website without
permission from me first. I'd be happy
to see this guide elsewhere online, but
please ask me first.