Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Human Species Discovered

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The discovery of a skeleton of a woman barely one meter tall who hunted pygmy elephants and giant rats 18,000 years ago could rewrite the origins of humanity, scientists in Australia said Thursday.

The perfectly preserved skeleton, about as big as a modern 3-year-old and with a grapefruit-sized skull, was found in a cave on the Indonesian island of Flores, about 600 kilometers east of Bali.

The female, nicknamed the Flores Hobbit, has been identified as a completely new member of the human race in the latest edition of the journal Nature.

The skeleton of the 30-year-old woman was found by a team from Australia's University of New England and the Indonesian Center for Archaeology in Jakarta.
    Source

Now that they may have discovered the remains of Dwarfs... what other mythological/legendary creatures do you think may have existed in the past?

I have heard that the legend of the Unicorn comes from the Rhino.. any others?

Do you think this discovery will change any current theories?

Is anyone interested in our little cousins at all?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Read a long article about this in the Glasgow Herald. Absolutely fascinating! Really brings evolution to life.....er.. if you believe in that sort of thing.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    My favourite bit of news of the week, it does really make you think.

They found six other skeletons the same size, along with a Komodo dragon and a dwarf elephant in the same cave - pretty cool stuff.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Do you think this discovery will change any current theories?
    Not the evolutionnary one, at least.
    A scientist quoted on cnn.com said nanism caused by environmental causes is quite common, but was never observed in a human-related species.

Another said she probably wasn't related to homo sapiens, though.
    "I don't think anybody can pigeonhole this into the very simple-minded theories of what is human," anthropologist Jeffery Schwartz of the University of Pittsburgh. "There is no biological reason to call it Homo. We have to rethink what it is."
    Now that they may have discovered the remains of Dwarfs
    I'm still waiting for a scientist to find elven-bones, though. nline2lo

edit: damn, the geek smiley isn't working!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The implications of a "higher-thinking" being that is not, in any way, related to humans, could rightfully send a lot of the religious world into a tailspin.

I've been discussing this discovery at home for a while. It really is far bigger news than most people seem to believe. Unfortunate how it was on the very last page of the paper.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    SirFrench's Avatar Headcase
    I had not even heard about it until i read this post.

It does shed a few light onto "Fantasy Creatures/Beings" though. As they say, "There is no smoke without fire" so fantasy had to come from somewhere...

There are many mythical creatures that i have always believed have existed, for instance dragons, maybe not the fire breathing kind, but certainly in the form of dinosaurs. So why not others. I'm sure there are some truths in the existance of other legends, but like chinese whispers have evolved more-so in our minds than in real evolutionary tracts.

It does however pose a new discussion on our evolution from primates...
    Another riddle is the tiny brain of Homo floresiensis, which at 380 millimeters is smaller than a chimpanzee's.
    If their brain was smaller than a chimpanzee's then whom did they evolve from??
    Last edited by SirFrench; 10-31-2004 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Ooops... spelling mistakes! Grr...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    So does this meen all those "Big foot" stories may be true

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I've been following this story. I like the possibility that they may still exist within the Indonesian rain forest (not likely but still...).

I don't think the discovery will send religion "into a tailspin", however, but it would be interesting that if these "hobbits" still existed how we would treat them. Would we treat them as equals and thus extend to them full human rights or would they be put in a zoo?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Given that not all humans are afforded equal rights I think it unlikely we would allow them to cousins.
    If they have intelligence (and the stone tools would seem to suggest they do) then they would be very wise to steer well clear of us.

With regards religion, I think it would only be an issue for the non-cerebral variety. I can't see mainstream Churches getting too bent out of shape.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    SirFrench's Avatar Headcase
    I think the majority would accept them were they still in existance, however there would always be prejudice... I think that they would be classed alongside so many as a "Developing Race".

As for Bigfoot... I reckon it's true anyways... Some kind of primate perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast