Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So Israeli policy works?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    NABLUS, West Bank (AP) - The Israeli army destroyed the home of a teenage suicide bomber Tuesday despite his mother's public and impassioned criticism of the group that sent her son on the deadly mission.

Israeli military officials acknowledged the woman's grief, but insisted the policy of demolishing bombers' houses is necessary to deter more attacks. The militants who sent the teenager said they would try to rebuild the family's home.

The incident focused new attention on an Israeli policy that has drawn criticism from Palestinians and human rights groups, which say tearing down homes amounts to collective punishment.

After the demolition, the bomber's mother, Samira Abdullah, backed off her criticism of her sons' handlers, saying her anger had subsided and praising the teenager as a hero.
    I wonder why she changed her mind after they demolished her house, despite the fact she was outspoken against the group....

Source

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I wonder why she changed her mind after they demolished her house, despite the fact she was outspoken against the group....

Source
    maybe because she's getting a new house from the people who told her son to go kill himself. Terrorist and suicide bombers make me sick, Israel makes me sicker .

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    not a good policy

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    As a mother, my first anger would be at my son who, knowing the policy, chose to sacrifice my home for his beliefs.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    As a mother, my first anger would be at my son who, knowing the policy, chose to sacrifice my home for his beliefs.
    Wow!!!!As a mother, my first emotion would be grief for the loss of my son. Despair too, that he felt that was a way to make his statement, anger that anyone tried to influence him to take his own life as well as the lives of others.
    Somehow, when I read the original quip, it never entered my mind that I would be angry, to think about "he chose to sacrifice our home."
    I would be angry that my beloved son was gone. The home? Can't compare it to my beautiful son.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Ruthe, of course I would mourn my son first, but my 'first anger' would be at my son and I would also lay on him the responsibility for his own actions, regardless of who 'influenced' him. I think you know me better than to respond to this the way you did. Please reread the post you quoted. I said my first anger, not my first emotion.
    Last edited by Everose; 11-03-2004 at 03:32 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Ruthe, of course I would morn my son first, but my first anger would be at my son and I would also lay on him the responsibility for his own actions, regardless of who 'influenced' him. I think you know me better than to respond to this the way you did. Get real.
    I understand you would mourn your son, and hold him accountable, however....in this country, people are proud of family members who give their lives for our country. Personally, I don't go for the whole suicide bombing trip, but maybe it is not seen that way with many Palestinians..some of them feel that they are defending their country, their homes. Maybe i would be furious with Israel for their sick policy..such as bulldozing the house, though they seem to bulldoze houses for no reason at all.
    I'm just saying, everose, I wold not blame my son for the destruction of my home..that wouldn't enter into the equation. I might, however, blame Israel.

anywhichway

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    I understand you would mourn your son, and hold him accountable, however....in this country, people are proud of family members who give their lives for our country. Personally, I don't go for the whole suicide bombing trip, but maybe it is not seen that way with many Palestinians..some of them feel that they are defending their country, their homes. Maybe i would be furious with Israel for their sick policy..such as bulldozing the house, though they seem to bulldoze houses for no reason at all.
    I'm just saying, everose, I wold not blame my son for the destruction of my home..that wouldn't enter into the equation. I might, however, blame Israel.
    I am relieved that you do realize I would mourn my son, Ruthe, your first post did not make this apparent.

I guess that is the difference between us, Ruthe. Responsibility for ones actions has to start somewhere, and I feel it starts with each of us taking responsiblity of our actions and being held accountable for them, regardless.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-03-2004 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Tags

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by everose
    I guess that is the difference between us, Ruthe. Responsibility for ones actions has to start somewhere, and I feel it starts with each of us taking responsiblity of our actions and being held accountable for them, regardless.
    So, who is accountable? Is it Israel, who has oppressed and abused Palestinians? Is it the Palestinians, who are treated like animals? Is it a kid who sees himself as a freedom fighter?
    Who is treated as guilty? Is it innocent Israeli's caught in the crossfire? Is it Israeli's who join with Palestinians to push for peace between the peoples? Is it the children raised in a culture of violence from the time they were born? Is it innocent villagers watching their houses bulldozed? Where does accountability begin and end? I don't think it is with the children...I think it is with the politicians, for one.
    Imagine yourself living your life as maybe this kid did, and witnessed what he might have in his lifetime. I don't think either of us are in a position to do so.
    So, what came first...the chicken or the egg?

anywhichway

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    I am relieved that you do realize I would mourn my son, Ruthe, your first post did not make this apparent.

My statement stands.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-03-2004 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote Tags

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast