Thread: voters or lawyers? who decides who wins????

Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    im watchin the election news.......

planes with lawyers ready to be flown to where there is trouble??? whats going on??? i thought the usa was a democracy........ having lawyers and judges decide who wins the election has nothing to do with the people choosing........

to americans i would like to ask: what are your views on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/02/to...ers/index.html

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    im watchin the election news.......

planes with lawyers ready to be flown to where there is trouble??? whats going on??? i thought the usa was a democracy........ having lawyers and judges decide who wins the election has nothing to do with the people choosing........

to americans i would like to ask: what are your views on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/02/to...ers/index.html
    Storm, I can only give you my perspective on this. My understanding is that there have been suspicions on both sides of double registration, double voting, (people registered in more than one state or more than one precint and people that have voted early or by absentee ballot attempting to vote again at the poles today) Also questionable registrations. In view of this situation both parties have attorneys and judges on standby to dispute many of these suspected wrongdoings to block and force counts of these votes in dispute.

Another thing that is going on are several local/state issues that are highly contraversial. Many seats in congress and the senate are up for election.

I read earlier where one county had more voters registered than total county population. Many of these votes are being challenged, needless to say.

As an American citizen and voter I find it a sad state affairs that all this is necessary. But I feel the blame can be placed equally on both parties.

It's more prudent to spend time figuring out what's right than who's right

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    well the problem probably lies in the whole election system..... which badly needs to be reformed.......

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I agree, Storm. But until that happens, we have the attorneys and judges to try to see that existing election laws are upheld. This has been one expensive election.

It's more prudent to spend time figuring out what's right than who's right

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    i thought the usa was a democracy........
    you thought wrong.

the electoral college does a pretty good job of making sure that democracy doesn't happen.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The USA is not a Democracy, its a Republic based on Democratic foundations.

There are few true Democracies in the world, neither the USA nor the UK are among that number.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will