Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sprocket....dripping wet (again)

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

Round two of Priming.
    Temps have skyrocketed up to 35C.

Oh my.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    worth the wait nice pic...I know someone who's going to be doing lots of tinkering have fun

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13
    I know someone who's going to be doing lots of tinkering
    Indeed.
    So far I have identified two issues that must be dealt with ASAP.

First, the Eheim pump is transmitting a low frequency hum to the case chassis which is driving me nuts.
    Obviously my initial attempt to isolate it while still providing a stable platform was a failure. Something far more elaborate will be necessary.
    This will be the first order of business cause if I can't successfully solve this problem then the whole waterloop will have to go.

Second, the Sunon fan (supplied with the rad/shroud) makes an irritating hum when dialed down to 7v (the lowest setting possible with my Vantec fanbus).
    It had already occured to me when contemplating the wiring for the pump that it may be useful to bring my ComairRotron Muffins (also 120v) out of retirement and use them on this project. As long as I have to wire 120v lines for the pump, the extra work to add in the fans is really not that big a deal. I even have a monster 172mm Muffin (as yet unused) that might be just the ticket for the radiator.

I tried to Prime overnight, but even from across the hall I could hear Sprocket humming/whining, so I shut her down around 3am.
    Even so, initial results are pretty good...temp maxxed out at 36c.
    This is acceptable, but not spectacular...my old temps (this comparison is the reason I haven't swapped to the new motherboard yet) were in the low 40's range, so I've dropped maybe 5-7c with the waterloop compared to the stock AMD HSF.
    The new DFI mobo will accept a Thermalright XP-120, reputed to be the ne plus ultra of the current crop of HSFs, I am curious how it might do, but, having spent the cash and energy on the waterrig, I really should follow through a bit more.
    I'm going to refine the setup as much as possible using the Chaintech board since I have some baseline data to use for comparison, then swap out the boards later.
    The basic layouts are similar enough (save for DFI's odd placement of the SATA headers) that I should easily be able to replace boards with no modification to the loop.

Off to work....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I am stunned and amazed that this is even possible! i shall continue to follow the saga and enjoy. Don't understand the techie stuff, but fascinating concept.....

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Hi Sara...slumming in Hardware World, are we?

Watercooling is really nothing new, your compatriot Lynx has been using it for months now and Sprocket has dabbled several times over the past year or so.

Being addicted to hardware prOn, the challenge and complexity appeals to me more than the actual results.....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    boy that's really crammed in there.

if any pipe was to leak everything would easily be covered in water.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Well yeah, there is that.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker

Watercooling is really nothing new, your compatriot Lynx has been using it for months now and Sprocket has dabbled several times over the past year or so.

Being addicted to hardware prOn, the challenge and complexity appeals to me more than the actual results.....
    Back on air cooling now. Temps only rose about 5-6 degrees (now 41C) when I switched to the Aerocool HT-101jr, and it is fairly quiet. But in about 10 months the whole system only lost about 5cc of water, and I'm pretty sure most of that would have been evaporation from the top of the filler pipe.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker

I have to venture out of the lounge from time to time...keeps me sane...ish

I had never heard of a watercooled computer before, and Sprocket looks like an art form and is much changed over time I think.

Although I have neither the technical savvy nor confidence to undertake such things, the fact that someone else does is fascinating.

Besides...I may learn something along the way

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara

I had never heard of a watercooled computer before, and Sprocket looks like an art form and is much changed over time I think.
    Just so.
    I have the luxury (or affliction, depending on one's viewpoint) of working on my PC rather more than working with it.
    I would venture to claim that Sprocket is the most frequently modified computer in our forum...not necessarily a good thing, but prolly true nonetheless.

Be aware that the waterloop you see would be considered rudimentary (and not particularly artful either) in hardcore circles...the extent to which some folks will go is a constant amazement to me, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in rather early in the process IMO, and such displays of technical bravura are interesting, but ultimately pointless.
    To each his own though.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast