Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Mobo, RAM, cpu. Any tips?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Timz,

Given that you have zero experience assembling these components, along with all the other fine suggestions previously posted, I would recommend that you put just the CPU ( with HSF installed), the RAM and the video card on the board and hook up the PSU and see if it POSTs outside the case.
    Then add the drives ( starting with the hard drive) one at a time, checking for POST after each one.

THEN install into the case, assured that you have everything hooked up correctly.
    We routinely do this at the shop on all the new builds...it can save lots of time should you run into a problem.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Timz,

Given that you have zero experience assembling these components, along with all the other fine suggestions previously posted, I would recommend that you put just the CPU ( with HSF installed), the RAM and the video card on the board and hook up the PSU and see if it POSTs outside the case.
    Then add the drives ( starting with the hard drive) one at a time, checking for POST after each one.

THEN install into the case, assured that you have everything hooked up correctly.
    We routinely do this at the shop on all the new builds...it can save lots of time should you run into a problem.
    hmm, ok, so jsut assemble everything outside of the case, before moving the mobo, everything on it, and the drives into the case. Then i have to hook up the case wires? btw, whats a PSU and whats POSTs?
    -TiMz

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz
    hmm, ok, so jsut assemble everything outside of the case, before moving the mobo, everything on it, and the drives into the case. Then i have to hook up the case wires? btw, whats a PSU and whats POSTs?
    PSU is power supply unit.

POST is POWER ON SELF TEST (that's the screen you see when you first turn on the computer that tells you how much ram, what CPU, all your drives, etc.

remember that once the heatsink is on the CPU\motherboard dont remove it. leave it on as you put it into the case.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    k, i understand. Im gonna start the assembly now. If i dont post again, i probably hit a snag. Thx again all
    -TiMz

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    i tried assembling the mobo. Put in the cpu w/ the HSF (took a little force, but it came out ok) and plugged in the fan power. Then i installed the 2 chips of RAM into the orange slots as instructed. After that i installed my r9600XT card and connected the "ATX Power Connector" and my "12V ATX Power Connecter" from my original comp's power cables, onto the new mobo. Then i disconnected the power cables to my hard drive, and my two optical drives. When i tried to boot up the motherboard, nothing happened. Not even the fan turned on. What am i doing wrong?

So far ive tried a bunch of combinations w/ the RAM and nothing makes the mobo work.

note: my new mobo is not acually in the case, im testing it outside of the case as recommended
    Last edited by Timz; 11-06-2004 at 01:14 AM.
    -TiMz

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Make sure you didnt nail gun the heatsink and fan to the CPU, i tried to skip around the fiddly bits and it cost me alot to replace the parys. Also for gluein he ram in DON'T use PVA, prick stick is much better.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    peerzy, wtf

timz, try...umm...

did u connect the case's pwoer button to the motherboard? (in the right place)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    peerzy, wtf

timz, try...umm...

did u connect the case's pwoer button to the motherboard? (in the right place)
    by power button, do u mean the ATX cables, or is there something im missing?
    -TiMz

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz
    by power button, do u mean the ATX cables, or is there something im missing?
    ya the button that youpress on the case which turns on the computer needs to be plugged into the motherboard. there's also the lights and reset button and speaker that you should hook up as well.

they're little plugs that look like this:

there will be a strip of pins on the bottom right of your motherboard. you will need to read the manual to know what plug goes where.
    it's pretty straight forward. sometimes the diagram is hard to follow, but if you get it wrong then nothing will happen you just gotta try again

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The power button, reset button etc. Refer to page - 29 - in your User's Manual for more help about that.
    Yes. As you can see I already pointed that out. Check page 29 of your manual.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast