Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Mobo, RAM, cpu. Any tips?

Im new to all of this. I have never put in any hardware into my comp besides my Radeon 9600XT. Are there any tips i should know of before i get started. I know about grounding myself before touching the parts due to static.

The parts are the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 for the MOBO http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...223&CatId=1124

256 PC3200 400mhz Kingston RAM x2 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sp?EdpNo=84386

and the AMD 2800+ CPU http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1087&CatId=256
    -TiMz

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RAM is like a graphics card, easy.

For the chip make sure you add a thin layer or thermal paste over the core and make sure you seat the heatsink so it fits in nice. Mobo is make sure you have all the jumpers set, the cpu and ram in and all cables attached before you screw it in.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i was told that i didnt need thermal paste if i want going to overclock, and that the heatsink already has a piece of tape underneath it that can absorb the heat. Also, how to i enable dual channel technology w/ my ram. Do i jsut install it anywhere or is there a specific pattern. Im using PC3200 ram
    -TiMz

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    also, can i leave the system jumpers on the mobo on "auto"? i dont understand how the CLK_RATIO multipliers work, how do i determine which one is right for me?
    -TiMz

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Leave the jumpers.
    When you start the computer for first time the board will autodetect the right speeds for your CPU. (FSB and MULTIPLIER)

To get dual channel read the manual for your board. Usually there is a certain 2 slots you must put the ram into to get it working in dual chanel mode.

Be careful when putting the heatsink on the board. Don't slip with the screwdriver or anything. Also make sure you put it on right. If for any reason you need to remove the heatsink then you will need to buy new thermal paste and apply it.

edit: you should also make sure to use the spacers (pic below) and make sure they are aligned correctly. I didn't use them the first time I installed my motherboard and it fried

Spacers attach to the case where the motherboard is going to sit...they line up where the screws on the motherboard are going to be. The spacers have threads on the inside for the motherboard mounting screws to go into.
    Last edited by tesco; 11-04-2004 at 10:01 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    My manual says that w/ 2 Memory modules i have to place them in difference places depending on what type of DIMM they are 1-4. Whats a DIMM? Also, what does DS dual side and SS single side have to do with anything?
    Last edited by Timz; 11-04-2004 at 11:20 PM.
    -TiMz

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    edit: you should also make sure to use the spacers (pic below) and make sure they are aligned correctly. I didn't use them the first time I installed my motherboard and it fried
    you just placed your mobo directly in the case??

thats an expensive joke.......

@ timz: it should say in your manual how to place them...... if it matters that is....

and the thermal paste isnt nessisary if you dont overclock, but it will lower your temps.....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz
    My manual says that w/ 2 Memory modules i have to place them in difference places depending on what type of DIMM they are 1-4. Whats a DIMM? Also, DS dual side and SS single side have to do with anything?
    dual sided means that on the ram stick the chips are on both sides...single sided means that only one side has chips, the other is usually just green and blank.

@storm, they gave me a new board and later a new cpu for free.
    Last edited by tesco; 11-04-2004 at 11:05 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can i get an estimate of how long this may take, i know u ppl are good at it, but how long did it take ur first time? Also, if i dont have two hdds or two DVD drives, do i have to worry about the "slave" part of Tom's Guide?
    Last edited by Timz; 11-04-2004 at 11:23 PM.
    -TiMz

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Leave the jumpers.
    When you start the computer for first time the board will autodetect the right speeds for your CPU. (FSB and MULTIPLIER)

To get dual channel read the manual for your board. Usually there is a certain 2 slots you must put the ram into to get it working in dual chanel mode.

Be careful when putting the heatsink on the board. Don't slip with the screwdriver or anything. Also make sure you put it on right. If for any reason you need to remove the heatsink then you will need to buy new thermal paste and apply it.

Spacers attach to the case where the motherboard is going to sit...they line up where the screws on the motherboard are going to be. The spacers have threads on the inside for the motherboard mounting screws to go into.

the spacers are jsut supposed to leave a small gap between the motherboard and the metal case?
    -TiMz

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast