Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual layer DVD's/-burner|Why should I buy it?

Filliz's Avatar ______________
    I just did a full back up of a DVD,including the menus,extras and both sound options (DTS|AC3) only leaving out the unnecessairy subs and audio languages.
    Popped it in the DVD player and it still looks/sounds as good as the original DVD

I was considering buying a dual layer burner,but after seeing the result I got with this complete back up I don't see why I should waste my money on it

The settings I used:
    Menu @ 75%
    Main movie @ 75%
    Extras @ 60%

Anyway,maybe I'm easily satisfied with quality (no,I'm not! ),maybe I got a kick ass DVD player,or maybe I just got lucky...But if all the other back ups that I still have to do turn out as good as this,I sure as hell won't be wasting my money on a dual layer burner and dito DVD's

I'll post a screen shot later on so you can judge for yourself

edit:
    What dvd/videoplayer can take screenshots of DVD's?
    Last edited by Filliz; 11-05-2004 at 02:46 AM.

hmm...asspie

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Really..the only reason I can think of would be if you were authoring yer own dvds and wanted to fit more stuff on it then a single dvd.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    muchspl2
    I always use lowest settings on menus/extras and take off any sub
    I like around 65%+ for the main movie to not notice much artifacting.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    if you can afford $25 for a duel layer blank CDs each then yeah get it.

but it is cheaper to buy the dam original DVD for $30

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    the expense of dual layer is too high now, though if i were to be buying my first DVDR, then id prob get a dual layer, cos the drives arent (i dont think) too expensive at the minute.

i always chop out as much of the extras/credits/menus etc as possible, in order to get as high quality as poss (especially for films which contain sfx)

but thats just my choice
    <insert signature here>

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    The settings I used above was for the movie "National Security".
    I also did "Tears of the Sun" with all the extras and menu,although here I set the menu and extras as low as possible.
    The movie was excellent,and I didn't see any noticable quality loss for the extras either.
    Ok,the picture in it wasn't probably as clear as on the original DVD,but it's only extras you know.Interviews and such don't really need to have the same quality as the actual movie imo.

The same with Shrek 2.
    Movie at 75%,Menu and Extras around 60%.
    I did (accidentally) kill the sound on the extras so they're no good anymore

But again,I see no reason in authoring out everything excpet the movie.
    In my experience you can only gain a max of 10% extra quality.

And the menu is one of the things that I really like about DVD's,not just the movie.
    Except when you got a 20th Century Fox DVD.
    They're just plain boring
    They always have the same boring menu and hardly ever something extra on it.
    And if they do it's just some stupid trailers.

hmm...asspie

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Even a 700MB DVD Rip looks almost industinguishable from the original DVD on a good DVD player.

Dual layer discs are too expensive at the moment (in my opinion at least) but dual layer burners are not too expensive in comparison to their single layer cousins

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz
    I just did a full back up of a DVD,including the menus,extras and both sound options (DTS|AC3) only leaving out the unnecessairy subs and audio languages.
    Popped it in the DVD player and it still looks/sounds as good as the original DVD

I was considering buying a dual layer burner,but after seeing the result I got with this complete back up I don't see why I should waste my money on it

The settings I used:
    Menu @ 75%
    Main movie @ 75%
    Extras @ 60%

Anyway,maybe I'm easily satisfied with quality (no,I'm not! ),maybe I got a kick ass DVD player,or maybe I just got lucky...But if all the other back ups that I still have to do turn out as good as this,I sure as hell won't be wasting my money on a dual layer burner and dito DVD's

I'll post a screen shot later on so you can judge for yourself

edit:
    What dvd/videoplayer can take screenshots of DVD's?
    Which software do you use?

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi
    Even a 700MB DVD Rip looks almost industinguishable from the original DVD on a good DVD player.
    That's probably just the movie you're talking about,encoded to Divx or Xvid.
    I don't think that compressing a 4564MB file to 700MB without encoding will look any good at all.

@BILLY-THE-FISH : I just use DVDShrink to RIP and Nero to burn.

Now,if someone could tell me which dvd mediaplayer can take screenshots I will be more than happy to post both original and ripped stills on here.
    And that way I can have a better view at both myself.

hmm...asspie

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    muchspl2
    uh yea dl media is around 9 bucks each now, but that price will come down doesn't mean he shouldn't get a burner th`at can't support it, I got a nec 2510a that can handle it for ~80 bucks and you can get a nec 2500 for ~60

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast