Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FST has been Haxord

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    It has been suggested................
    that by using this overlay trick
    that there is a possibility that the overlay site may know your password etc
    if any techies could clarify this?
    Nope. The only info they get is the bit after the "?ref=".

When passwords are required they aren't usually sent across the net. Instead a test word/phrase is sent which is encrypted using your password. The encrypted word/phrase is returned. The site checking your password also encrypts the word/phrase with your password and compares that with what was returned. That way, even if someone is sitting between you and the server they still don't get to see your password.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    phew....
    thanx

3. Lounge   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Notice though that I did say normally. There are still ways to trick you into sending your password in clear text, but I'm pretty sure you would have to type it in, it wouldn't be available through your password manager.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Notice though that I did say normally. There are still ways to trick you into sending your password in clear text, but I'm pretty sure you would have to type it in, it wouldn't be available through your password manager.

If I get hax0red cos of it I am blaming you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12