Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: schools allowing creationism

Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor
    Indeed,

How do you propose teaching about various religions if you refuse to look at their holy works? Or am I misinterpreting what you mean?

You would have to be a scholar in all religions.

The funny thing is most religions point to the same god.

Christians believe in god who created the world in six days and rested on the seventh

Jews obviously believe in the same god.

Muslims believe that Allah, created the universe just like that and he didnt need to rest since he is superior, also they believe in Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Noah and many more,

so my question isn’t Islam and Christianity the same. The only difference I see is that Muslims believe that Jesus didn’t die on the cross+they have a stricter "old fashioned way of living"

the quran basically repeats what the bible says and modifies some of the rules.

My best mates a muslim, and I find Islam as a great Religeon to follow, personally IMO all religeons lead to the same god(unless you are a hindu or something)

Islam has basicly been ruined by all the terrorists etc.

I my self beleive in god and I am looking for a religeon to follow

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Lawsuit filed in Georgia by 6 parents and the ACLU..

ATLANTA — A sticker in suburban Atlanta science textbooks that says evolution is "a theory, not a fact" is being challenged in court as an unlawful promotion of religion.
    The lawsuit, filed by six parents and the Georgia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (search), begins Monday and is expected to last four days.
    Cobb County (search) school officials adopted the disclaimer after science textbooks it adopted in 2002 were criticized by some parents for presenting evolution as fact. More than 2,000 people signed a petition opposing the biology texts because they did not discuss alternative theories, including creationism (search).
    County school officials said their stickers simply encourage students to keep an open mind, but the lawsuit claims the warning promotes the teaching of creationism and discriminates against particular religions.
    The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that creationism was a religious belief that could not be taught in public schools along with evolution.
    The stickers read: "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."
    "I'm a strong advocate for the separation of church and state," said one of the parents, Jeffrey Selman. "I have no problem with anybody's religious beliefs. I just want an adequate educational system."
    A lawyer for Cobb County schools, Linwood Gunn, said he expects the disclaimer will hold up in court. He said the stickers "improve the curriculum while also promoting an attitude of tolerance for those that have different religious beliefs."
    Yup, the fundamental nutjobs in this country feel that Bush owes them, because they got him into office. Obviously, if he names a supreme court justice..(just a matter of time), they are already bitching that one of his possible choices isn't against abortion. The US is turning into a Christian Crusader country.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam-King
    I my self beleive in god and I am looking for a religeon to follow
    If you believe in god why do you need a religion to follow? If god hears all prayers why the need to do it in groups. Why would god need choreographed ceromonies?

I've heard a lot of people accuse religion for being responsible for more man made death than anything else and noted the indignation in the rebuttal of religious people

The fact is that the belief in god hasn't cause one war..... but the religions have.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    If you believe in god why do you need a religion to follow? If god hears all prayers why the need to do it in groups. Why would god need
    Because each religeon has its own rules, and I want to find one that I can agree with or atleast try to practice.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    rules..what a concept..religious rules are usually imposed to have control over the people.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam-King
    Because each religeon has its own rules, and I want to find one that I can agree with or atleast try to practice.
    there is only one rule....have faith in god.

choosing between following the sandal or the gourd makes no difference

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Halalujah

An it harm none, do what you will
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-08-2004 at 04:39 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The three Abramic religions "point to the same god." Shinto, Hinduism, Vodun, and Wicca are all very different.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Added to which,

"There's nowt as 'Strange' as Folk", as my Granma always told me

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    That is the first genuinely interesting thing I have saw you post. Fan-tastic, I knew you could do it.
    Thank you for the compliment, i shall return it if ever you achieve such a standard
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-09-2004 at 01:06 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567