Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today's Great Motherboards

fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    i got a VIA chipset on my current mobo, not bad for an OOOOOLD fkr
    they seem to do pretty well with driver updates and such too
    but i will have to read through VB1234's link to tom's before i commit to one or another
    (i didnt get past the "object of desire" on page two, i shot my wad and had to clean up)
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Running an MSI K8N neo platinum socket 754 at the mo, has nForce 3 on board with a 250Gb Lan, so far no hassles. Very nice board except for being a littler picky about the RAM it likes.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Socket 939 is definitely the choice if you want ultimate performance - double the memory bandwidth of socket 745 and 25% more HyperTransport bandwidth - all controlled directly by the CPU so the chipset is not as important as long as it is capable of supporting the speeds.

I looked at the boards on the link above, I can't say I was too impressed by the layout of the MSI board - heat from the cpu will certainly make sure the memory doesn't get cold.

I like the idea of Nvidia's single chip design - no need for a chip interconnect so everything should run slightly faster. However, it is a top end chip so you will pay top end prices.
    Last edited by lynx; 11-11-2004 at 09:01 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12