Thread: More British Troops?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    A British battalion of 600 infantry have been told to make ready for deployment to Iraq, the Conservatives claimed today.

The soldiers, understood to be from the 2nd Battalion Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment, were told of the move “some time ago”, according to the Tories.

Shadow defence secretary Nicholas Soames said the battalion was expected to be based in the southern Iraqi city of Basra.

“I know that an infantry regiment has been stood up to go to Iraq.” he said. “They are in the UK now. It is a battalion, about 600.”
    And more heading to Fallujah too...

Mr Soames said he expected the Black Watch would be reviewing their tactics and predicted they may be reinforced in the coming days by the redeployment of Challenger II tanks from Basra.
    Source

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    And more heading to Fallujah too...

Source

RF, do you have any word on why the Black Watch is considering reviewing their tactics? I am not understanding why this is necessary, the possible reviewing of their tactics.
    Last edited by Everose; 11-09-2004 at 07:01 PM. Reason: change to the word 'reviewing'

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose

RF, do you have any word on why the Black Watch is considering reviewing their tactics? I am not understanding why this is necessary, the possible reviewing of their tactics.
    On behalf of RF. I think instead of kissing butt, they are now going to be kicking butt.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    On behalf of RF. I think instead of kissing butt, they are now going to be kicking butt.

Adopting the US tactics of shoot first ask questions later

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose

They havent even started wearing Helmets yet... really, im not kidding.

They are still wearing their Tam O'Shanters in the field..

It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if the "Change in Tactics" was ordering them to actually wear their Helmets and Body Armour...

Something that they dont like to do unless they mean to actually go into Battle.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-09-2004 at 07:09 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    The British Army tend to go down the hearts & minds route

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    The non-threatening approach of the British troops is one of the reasons why there has been relative calm in Basra.

It pays not to alienate those you are trying to help with agressive hard tactics and to undo some of the damage done to relationships is going to be hard if not impossible.

I guess they have just realised that to gain ground in Baghdad, they will have to protect themselves more, which will make them appear more threatening....and around we go.....

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    they mentioned some of the changes in tactics on bbc news, most of what they mentioned was simply increasing base security, eg greater exclusion zone around the base and no civilian transports allowed to approach, they also mentioned randomising the checkpoints. they seemed to be sticking with wearing the berets