Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cpu temp problems

Surprised/Amazed

i recently bought a new mobo, cpu and ram. I installed everything onto the mobo and connected everything to the pc. However, when i loaded up bios for the first time and went to the "PC Health" tab in bios it told me that my cpu (AMD XP2800+) had a tempterature of 63 degrees C (When i first start up, my system temp is 30C and the cpu fan is 45C, both continue to rise. The cpu fan runs at 3500-3668 rpms). I read that normal temps for the cpu should be between 35-45 degrees C. Im pretty sure i installed the HSF properly, but in order to make sure i would have to remove the HSF.

1) If i remove the HSF, do i have to apply new a new thermal pad/ or thermal gell (like Arctic5) or can i jsut reuse the same pad?
    2) Is it likely that the processor is acually the problem (defective)? (I bought it in the retail box from TigerDirect.com)
    3) Would using thermal gel instead of the provided thermal pad give me better cooling?
    4) If i remove the original thermal pad (in order to test the thermal gel), do i void my warrenty w/ tigerdirect and/or AMD?
    5) Would buying/ using casefans lower the temperature on my cpu? (if so, where would i install them?)
    -TiMz

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    1. Don't reuse the pad.
    2. Not likely.
    3. Yes the thermal tranfer would improve but not by a huge amount.
    4. Not sure.
    5. If you open the side of your case and you see a temperature drop then adding more fans would help.

Just a note. Your actual CPU temperature is lower than your reading. That Gigabyte board has this issue. Gigabyte says that the problem was solved by a BIOS update but the issue still remains.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hmm, do you know how much lower exactly? if its just 12 degrees C or so, i should be fine
    -TiMz

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz
    hmm, do you know how much lower exactly? if its just 12 degrees C or so, i should be fine
    if the original pad was done right then probably 3-5 degrees drop. maybe a little more if your lucky.

I'm guessing you might have gotten bad contact with your thermal pad so using some thermal paste might make MUCH better contact and GREATLY lower your temp (this happened to a friend of mine).

or you could have my problem where the cpu's vcore is too high and it's making the temperature too high. you can check what that is in the bios, then post it here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz
    My thinking is that your PC is probably fine. Just the temps reported by that board are off. I bet the heatsink feels quite warm but not so hot that you can't touch it for long. I also bet that your PC is stable (not crashing).

If you check around you'll see that there are reports that the temp sensor shows too high by as much as 10 to 15˚C.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    My thinking is that your PC is probably fine. Just the temps reported by that board are off. I bet the heatsink feels quite warm but not so hot that you can't touch it for long. I also bet that your PC is stable (not crashing).

If you check around you'll see that there are reports that the temp sensor shows too high by as much as 10 to 15˚C.
    i can touch the Heatsink probably indefinetly. It is quite warm near the base, but not so that would make me move my hand. Your also right about the crashing, it hasnt crashed, but then again, ive only been running it in 15-20 minute bursts followed by 10-15 minute cooling periods
    Last edited by Timz; 11-11-2004 at 12:32 PM.
    -TiMz

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Let it run longer. It takes time and heat to melt the thermal pad. It should improve as the thermal transfer material gets thinner.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 11-11-2004 at 12:45 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Let it run longer. It takes time and heat to melt the thermal pad. It should improve as the thermal transfer material gets thinner.
    what temperature should i let it reach before i shut it off. Im really worried that if there isnt a problem with it right now, im gonna create problems by messing around w/ it
    -TiMz

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    leave it on and if it ever gets to like 70 then shut it off.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    If your motherboard has cpu shutdown temp control you could set it at 70C, that way there should be no chance of burning out your cpu, except possibly for something like your HSF falling off.

With that setup you should not need to worry, it will shut itself off (and probably sound an alarm) if things get too hot.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast