Thread: can som 1 shed some light please

Poster

Surprised/Amazed

Why is it that 1 anti-virus program finds some viruses and others don't
    for example avg found no viruses on my pc but house doctor found 2.

spybot and spyware blaster found no spyware but Xoftspy found malware,worms and adware galor on my pc. Also i thought sp2 was ment to protect pcs from worms galore

and Norton anti-virus 2005 slows my pc down

WHATS IS IT ALL ABOUT

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    #1. if you are trusting SP2 to keep stuff out, come on now, seriously...

#2. different apps have different detection methods, they were coded by different people, some are better, some are not as good

#3. spybot hasn't had the support it needs for quite some time now
    IMO its dead (for me, pestpatrol works nice)

#4. yes NAV can be a resource hog, this is no secret
    an alternative would be norton or symantec corp, NOD32 if you wanna mess with the password every month or mess with your system time (or just pay for it)

#5. again....SP2 is shit

#6. spyware blaster doesnt scan for spyware, read the FAQ

#7. do i have to say it again? SP2 is shit
    Last edited by FKDUP74; 11-11-2004 at 02:32 PM.
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    cheers m8 waht anti virus soft are u usein?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley

Whatever one you use update it regularly.

I use Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate.
    Me too. I managed to locate Symantec's Client Security suite. It contains both the client firewall v7 and client anti-virus v9. Both corporate versions.

I would swear by their overall protection.

Using JascCoolSoftware's Spyware Blaster as well for time being. A nice little freeware application. It provides some protection. Mostly from sites doing their damned-est to place malicsious active X controls and cookies into my system. However, it really does not do anything else other than block a few pop-ups and ad banners. It does nothing against spyware from running rampant on your system if it gets through. And it sure as hell does not scan for it. For a complete anti-spyware package, I am awaiting Sunbelt Software's "CounterSpy" appication.

What WinXP News had to say about it:

New Anti-Spyware Tool Helps You Fight Back

We have been testing a new anti-spyware tool made by our sponsors, Sunbelt Software, and we're happy to report that it carries on the Sunbelt tradition of great software at a great price. It's called CounterSpy and it not only detects and removes spyware, adware and other "malware" (malicious software) programs - it actually prevents many of them from infesting your computer in the first place by using real-time security agents to monitor what's going on. There are three separate monitors: Internet, system, and application monitors.

Why another spyware program? According to our readers, this is one of the biggest computer-related problems they encounter, along with spam. And many of you have told us that none of the other anti-spyware products on the market leave you completely satisfied with the results.

CounterSpy features "Active Protection," which alerts you to suspicious activity on your computer before harm is done, and it includes the most comprehensive and fastest growing database of spyware signatures in the business. Another great idea is the Spyware Fighters' Network, which lets users immediately report new spyware to be added to the database. We like that this information is sent anonymously. The results page that displays when CounterSpy finds spyware on your system is easy to interpret and contains details that let you make an informed decision as to what you want to remove and what you don't. And if you're not sure about some files, you can quarantine them and get them back or delete them later.

CounterSpy goes beyond protecting against spyware programs, too. It also includes a "History Cleaner" that will get rid of some of the data that hides in logs and temp files and could be used against you. It even has a "Secure File Eraser" that overwrites deleted files so the data doesn't remain on your hard disk to be recovered with sophisticated computer forensics techniques.

The installation wizard was straightforward and superfast; it took less than a minute on our Windows XP machine. You do have to restart the computer after installing. When you reboot, you'll see the CounterSpy icon in the system tray, indicating the program is active. Double click it to open the setup wizard. You'll have the choice of enabling automatic updates so CounterSpy can download the latest spyware signatures. You'll also have options to enable active protection and join the spyware fighters' network. That's all there is to it - next you can run a scan for spyware, and you can choose to run a scan every night at 2 a.m. (you can change the time after completing the wizard).

The graphical interface is simple, intuitive and icon-based. Scanning is fairly fast; it took about 16 minutes to scan 138,874 files and 6,686 registry keys. CounterSpy detected the spyware programs that we had deliberately installed on our test machine, plus a few more. As with any scanner, there were a few "false positives," too - programs that we had installed deliberately and wanted to keep. CounterSpy lets you take separate action on each detected threat, so that wasn't a problem (if you prefer, you can set a single action for all detected threats using the Take Action button). Each listed threat shows the threat level, from low to high (for example, cookies are low threats) and you can view details about each (for example, the date it was installed). We especially like the fact that you can choose to "always ignore" a particular threat, so you don't have to keep telling CounterSpy what to do with it each time you perform a scan.

Active Protection works nicely, too. If you install software that tries to install spyware along with it, CounterSpy pops up a window warning you of this, and gives you the option to allow it or remove it. All in all, we were impressed with the beta's performance and ease of use. We think Sunbelt has another winner. We'll warn you when the product is released! In the mean time, don't buy any other anti-spyware. This one detects, deletes AND protects.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Xoftspy found malware,worms and adware galor on my pc
    Xoftspy = aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2); questionable license terms; false positives work as goad to purchase (1, 2, 3, 4); same app as SpyBurn; Ad-aware knockoff - (Note: other domains associated with XoftSpy -- most of which were formerly associated with SpyHunter -- include: adware-destroyer.com, adware-elimination.com, adwarekillers.com, adwares.net, anti-adware.net, antispywares.com, deletespyware.net, removespyware.net, softspy.net, softwho.com, spyware-detection.net, spywareprof.com, spywarerem.com, spywareremoval.net) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 11-7-04]
    I don't recommend any antispyware that is listed on this site:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

I do recommend these free programs and hosts file as added protection.

SpywareBlaster - Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.

SpywareGuard - An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware!

IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of sites and domains associated with known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer.

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Visit these sites for more information on securing your computer.
    How did I get infected?
    Dealing with unwanted spyware.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by foot loose
    cheers m8 waht anti virus soft are u usein?
    SAV Corp, same as JP Fugs
    if you can get a hold of the client, its only like 18 MB for v9,
    its lighter, faster, and the corp client updates for free for life

depending on what P2P client you use, i may know how to get a hold of it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by FKDUP74
    SAV Corp, same as JP Fugs
    if you can get a hold of the client, its only like 18 MB for v9,
    its lighter, faster, and the corp client updates for free for life

depending on what P2P client you use, i may know how to get a hold of it
    i'm getting this from bittorrent right now.

it better be better than NAV.
    i'm tired of NOD32 needing a new password every 5 minutes.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    i'm getting this from bittorrent right now.

it better be better than NAV.
    i'm tired of NOD32 needing a new password every 5 minutes.
    i think you'll like it better than NAV home edition
    i used NAV 03 & 04 home editions, and i'll never go back after usin corp

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yea, Kasperky found 3 viruses on my machine (causeing major damage too).. while both Norton and Nod32 didnt find anything right before. Heh, crazyy

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    thanks 4 da input peps (",)