Thread: DSL Modem - Which One?

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Some of you may know that I've been having serious problems with my Netgear DG632. Basically, the DG632 is unable to sustain more than 15 connections at any given time, and eventually dropping connection, whereupon I have to reboot modem to attain my IP address once more.

Obviously, this is making it near on impossible to stay connected to any P2P client longer than 5 mins.

I'm in the process of sending it back, and as such, need to purchase another DSL modem so I'm not without the Internet for a huge length of time.

So... without further ado. Your recommendations please :-)

Fill out the following information if possible:

-Name Of Modem/Router?
    -Place Of Purchase?
    -Price (Average)?
    -Wired/Wireless?
    -Ethernet or USB?

I'm really after modem only, but for some bizarre reason, the majority of stores are only selling modems with built in routers :-( so it's no big deal, IF it's possible to ensure device can be in 'Modem Only' mode.

Also, I'm from the UK. Please bear this in mind if posting US stores as some may not deliver internationally, and those that do charge $$$$$ for P&P.

Don't care about price, but obviously the lower the better.

Wired is preferable, but again, I'm open to suggestions.

Ethernet Only. This is my biggie.

Cheers All,

Samurai

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

Cool

Don't all run at once people

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Speadstream 5200 is what i have....

My Blog
    I'm still here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Can't help you out son. USA here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've got an Origo ASR-8400 4 port modem/router.
    Cost about £35 from Ebuyer, but I don't think they do them any more. Here's almost the same thing with 802.11b wireless too, only £37.99 (+vat & shipping). One word of warning, they often come with out of date firmware, but you can usually get an update here.
    As far as I know they have 4 ethernet ports and one USB port, plus wireless of course.

The 8400 seems a bit susceptible to power drops, but other than that I haven't had any problems in over 12 months. I also know someone with the 8210 (single port equivalent of the one linked to above) and she's hasn't had a single break in over 6 months.

BTW, this is Ebuyer's replacement for the ASR-8400, same source for firmware upgrades so I suspect it is also a good one, but I can't actually confirm that. Also note that the reviews on Ebuyer refer to the ASR-8400.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I've got an Origo ASR-8400 4 port modem/router.
    Cost about £35 from Ebuyer, but I don't think they do them any more. Here's almost the same thing with 802.11b wireless too, only £37.99 (+vat & shipping). One word of warning, they often come with out of date firmware, but you can usually get an update here.
    As far as I know they have 4 ethernet ports and one USB port, plus wireless of course.

The 8400 seems a bit susceptible to power drops, but other than that I haven't had any problems in over 12 months. I also know someone with the 8210 (single port equivalent of the one linked to above) and she's hasn't had a single break in over 6 months.

BTW, this is Ebuyer's replacement for the ASR-8400, same source for firmware upgrades so I suspect it is also a good one, but I can't actually confirm that. Also note that the reviews on Ebuyer refer to the ASR-8400.
    Thanks for the info... I've shopped at eBuyer before and they're very good. In fact, eBuyer was the exact place where I purchased my DG632, so I'm going to have to get in contact with them for a returns number on Monday.

I was actually looking at the last link you posted the other day, and was almost on the brink of clicking the 'Buy' button but decided to do a bit more research.

I was looking at other sites, and one modem that got a lot of good reviews was the Linksys WAG54G Wireless ADSL Modem / Router w/ 4 Port Switch.

Pic Below:

A detailed search found the average price for this was around £82 at such places as Amazon UK & £73 for Simply.

However, I managed to find a store called Micro Direct who I haven't used before. It seems MD has a special on this modem / router and are currently selling it for £58.69 Inc VAT!!. It seems to good to be true but I'll let you know my status in a couple of days time.

Samurai

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ok I'm a little confused...

If it's 'wireless', why do I have to connect it to my PC with wires. What's the aerial for? LOL

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Micro Direct are pretty reliable, I've used them before.

Linksys are now part of Cisco, so if there are any problems you can be sure they will be sorted out. However, I don't much like their port-forwarding, the Origo models are much more flexible.

AFAIK you only need to connect with wires for the initial setup (otherwise you may be blocked by the wireless security). After that you can do everything via wireless connection.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Micro Direct are pretty reliable, I've used them before.

Linksys are now part of Cisco, so if there are any problems you can be sure they will be sorted out. However, I don't much like their port-forwarding, the Origo models are much more flexible.

AFAIK you only need to connect with wires for the initial setup (otherwise you may be blocked by the wireless security). After that you can do everything via wireless connection.

Cool. Micro Direct seem really good. Thanks for the info regarding the wireless issue