Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in Scotland

manker's Avatar effendi
    Just 2 days ago I visited the hypnotist for the second time this year to give up the evil weed, last time I went for 6 months without smoking, this time I hope it is for good.

I am as biased as hell and make no apologies - I want a total ban on cigarettes. They do no-one any good apart from the manufacturers and depending on which statistics you look at, cost the treasury more in health care than they rake in thro' Excise Duty and V.A.T.

If they are in Newsagents winking at me - yes they do - while I buy a Newspaper and in my friends hands while I'm drinking in pubs then my personal battle will never be over. Ban them, ban then today.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    So, no compromises then.

You may recall that I did not say that everyone who drinks causes problems, and I was suggesting a solution whereby those who smoke do not cause problems for those who do not want to be affected by smoke.

So lets have no compromises all round, close all the bars so that the problem drinkers don't affect anyone, and automatically we get the smoking ban at the same time. A perfect solution. Anyone disagree?

I see what you are saying lynx. I think that any establishment that wishes to create a "smoking" area that is completely separate from the "non-smoking" area, they should have that right.

Is that what you were complaining about? Instead of a flat ban, make all places smoke-free, but allow the option to create a smoking area?

I do not know the particulars of the original article as the link requires me to register for the full article.

I think compromise is usually a good way to approach something.
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-14-2004 at 08:40 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    I drive on roads, where cars are intended to operate. I don't drive on the sidewalk you walk on.

If you want to talk about pollution, that is part of the risk/benefit ratio of living in a community. Cars are one piece to this very large puzzle.

There is no risk/benefit scenario with smoking.

Its got nothing to do with driving on the pavement

I breathe in exhasut fumes just as you would breathe in my second hand smoke. But because cars are a benefit to society it is okay for us to breathe in ?

Oh well, I don't live in Scotland and its still just being muttered about here

edit - manker that would probably be the best way to do it but of course we know they won't due to the large amount of taxes it brings in
    Last edited by DanB; 11-14-2004 at 08:41 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    There is no risk/benefit scenario with smoking.
    And the risk/benefit scenario of alcohol is ???
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Its got nothing to do with driving on the pavement

I breathe in exhasut fumes just as you would breathe in my second hand smoke. But because cars are a benefit to society it is okay for us to breathe in ?

Oh well, I don't live in Scotland and its still just being muttered about here
    Yes, it is.

You don't need to drive a car to experience the benefits of one. How do you think all that fresh produce gets to the city everyday?

Ironically, after you get hit by a car, a smoke belching ambulance may come to save your life.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    And the risk/benefit scenario of alcohol is ???
    There is none, if handled responsibily. My drinking will never impact upon you in any way. If I am drunk, that is illegal in public.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Just 2 days ago I visited the hypnotist for the second time this year to give up the evil weed, last time I went for 6 months without smoking, this time I hope it is for good.

I am as biased as hell and make no apologies - I want a total ban on cigarettes. They do no-one any good apart from the manufacturers and depending on which statistics you look at, cost the treasury more in health care than they rake in thro' Excise Duty and V.A.T.

If they are in Newsagents winking at me - yes they do - while I buy a Newspaper and in my friends hands while I'm drinking in pubs then my personal battle will never be over. Ban them, ban then today.
    I think this is a different argument altogether. However, for many the same would apply to alcohol. But given that neither is likely to happen soon (I think someone tried the alcohol ban with stunning failure ) I can't see it has much bearing on this discussion.

Edit: just realised what time it is. I'm off for some alcohol and second-hand smoke.
    Last edited by lynx; 11-14-2004 at 08:48 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I agree, but as i said before 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Should i be allowed to stab anyone on sight because other people use guns ?

Vidcc,

Lets run the logic of this by Busyman to see if it makes sense.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    The point chaps is that smoking has no redeeming features, for the smoker or anyone else.
    Makes me feel better...

Although i admit, if i actually managed to give it up at some point id feel better again

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Makes me feel better...

Although i admit, if i actually managed to give it up at some point id feel better again

You would feel better because you would be frigging rich. All that money you would save.

Smoking is the best habit I never started.

Are we allowed to drink on the forum, I'm about to start.
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-14-2004 at 08:52 PM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast