Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The best American state(s)?

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Out of curiosity I was wondering which people considered to be the best state or states in America (in terms of say living conditions, environment, people, weather etc)?

Does this differ when you're just visiting or looking to live in a place (e.g. say LA would be nice to visit but may not be the best place to live all the time).

Also is there a massive climate change between the East and West coasts of the states. Would you get a more temperate British climate to the East (compared to the all year round sun that seems to be common when talking about the West). Does the climate change dramatically the further North you head and are their chance of significant snowfall as far south as South Carolina and its surrounding states in the East?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Iraq.

Not the best holiday destination at the mo but the sheer history of the area and the ancient architecture which still exists and that which lies undiscovered makes it an intruiging place.

It also has a lot of oil.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SeK612
    Out of curiosity I was wondering which people considered to be the best state or states in America (in terms of say living conditions, environment, people, weather etc)?

Does this differ when you're just visiting or looking to live in a place (e.g. say LA would be nice to visit but may not be the best place to live all the time).

Also is there a massive climate change between the East and West coasts of the states. Would you get a more temperate British climate to the East (compared to the all year round sun that seems to be common when talking about the West). Does the climate change dramatically the further North you head and are their chance of significant snowfall as far south as South Carolina and its surrounding states in the East?
    The most comparable climate we have the UK is in the Northwest. It's temperatures are moderated by the ocean. For it's latitude it never gets nearly as hot or cold as the Midwest or the East Coast cities , such as NewYork.

It is foggy there and rains most everyday. Seattle, Washington (Not DC, but Washington State) would be the major city.

The US is too big to go into all the regional climates and such. If you can tell us what your living/climate preferences would be, we can give you a more tailored answered.

Where I live in San Antonio, it rarely rains , but I was thonging out at the swimming pool yesterday as the temperature approached 90F
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeK612

Where I live in the DC area, it gets extremely hot in the summer and moderately cold in the winter and we can get bad bouts of snow but it's not often.

I think we've got down to the late teens this winter. The snow that we've had melted away in about 3 days.

I like Florida sans the hurricanes.

I don't know what to tell ya regarding the people. There are good and bad everywhere. I did hear many tourists are killed in Miami though.

If you like a change in climate throughout the year and a perfect blend of innercity/suburb life suburban Maryland is quite noice.

It's part of the Washington Metropolitan Area which consists of Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Montgomery and Prince George's Counties of Maryland. It's about 30 miles from Baltimore (I think Microsoul V lives there), another large Metroploitan area.

There is a decent subway system that reaches all those areas. We have 3 major airports, Reagan National in VA (right next to DC) and Dulles Int'l in VA, plus BWI in Baltimore.

The concentrated hood areas are mostly in SE and NE DC and southern PG County, MD (that borders SE DC).
    I grew up in SE DC and PG County, MD.

There is more than adequate nightlife and shit to do. The best living is in areas of Maryland where you are not too far from the action of the city like Northern PG County.
    Northern Virginia (NORVA) is too congested and so are many parts of Montgomery County.

As far as visiting, this is not a "resort" area. Tourist come to DC to visit the vast museums, the White House, and so forth. We have NHL Hockey and NBA and college basketball at the Verizon Center in DC and NFL football out in Northern PG County, MD.

It's funny that we live here but sometimes forget we have a theme park in our back yard. Six Flags America is about 15 minutes away from me and I almost never go there. You'd think I have a season pass or something.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-03-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    hamm's Avatar evil piggy
    Hawaii!! FTW

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    here in Montana, the temps will hit 100 degrees F easy in the summer. in winter, most of the time it is fairly moderate- 0-32 degrees F, although every year there are a couple weeks where it gets down to -20 to -30 degrees F. Wages here are dog piss, but we still got people moving in all the time, so something must be right. maybe the same reason the state is called bigsky country
    things are cheaper here too though, so we get a lot of people that move here from California and such because the money they made in california is worth a hell of a lot more here.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    hamm's Avatar evil piggy
    Montana's beautiful country, but I didn't know your summers got so warm.

Down here, it common to have 90° temeperatures for weeks on end but it's so damned humid that your clothes cling to you like Saran Wrap® the moment you walk out the door.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    ya, real dry here. don't think I could stand the temps if it was humid. already bad enough working out in that. it always seems to be the hottest day of the summer just when the haybales have to be picked up too.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I've been to:

Pennsylvannia
    New Jersey
    New York
    Virginia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Alabama

and a bunch of others on the way to those places.

my favourites were:

Georgiqa
    Alabama
    Pennsylvannia.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Alaska?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast