Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: senior project paper, please read

DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    it is about piracy, it is alligned wrong but read, this aint the full paper, it is on my flash drive and this crappy mac cannot read this. i will post the rest later. i also know i forgot to site some stuff too

criticism wanted please, i have 6 hours to turn this in

i ahve to e-mail it to her at 8:00pm

right now it is 1:55pm
    (i live in california,usa)

THE EFFECTS OF PIRACY

There was an average person who downloaded music all he time and did not realize that what he was doing was making the music companies lose money. Then one day he started to download movies because his friend told him of a website that had movies to download. He later received a letter from his ISP (Internet Service Provider) from the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) who told him to delete any copyrighted files on him computer or hard drives. He thought it was nothing but a fake letter made sent out to random people to scare him. He still continued to download movies and music and also started to download computer software. Then, one day he thought since he bought so many CD-R’s and DVD+/-R’s, he could sell them to people he knows and around places such as the flea market. He was selling pirated items and didn’t get in any trouble but one day he sold software to an undercover police officer. The police fined him in so he was arrested and fined for piracy. This is how a typical pirater starts. Just someone who downloads music and tries to sell it to get some money for themselves. There are many monetary losses to companies who make the copyrighted item in question. Many people can get the items from any place they want because they assume that there is no harm in what they are doing. Companies only see it as their loss of money. They don’t care who sold what was made by them. It is a loss of profits to companies. It is basically a form of stealing. People only think they are getting it for free with no risk. Piracy is an act of stealing other people’s hard work and in some cases distributing them for free or by charging people, and due to this it causes economic hardships on the artists and the movie industries.
    There are many people against or for piracy. People like to buy the product because since he people who made it make money, since people bought it they will continue to further update it. They want to support them and keep the price low. It is the fault of piraters that the prices keep on rising. Some people who support say they have always supported it or support it 100 percent but this really isn’t true. For example, when someone buys a music CD only some songs are liked and they spent about $15 on the CD. They chose to waste their money on it so they can burn themselves a backup copy. Then the person who supports piracy comes in.
    He would want to ask his friend to borrow the CD. Of course he would say okay, so when he borrows it he makes many copies of it. He could have downloaded it but he had 56k internet. There are many places where it could have been downloaded. There are file-sharing clients called p2p clients. P2P means “Peer to Peer” meaning that files are shared between one person and another. They are used in different ways and on different networks. It all started with Napster. It was a program where people download music. It is what started it all. It was shut down because of issues with music artists. More different types of clients were released. “KaZaA “ was the most popular of the clients for while.
    Recently in 2004, the FastTrack network (which KaZaA runs on) was flooded with a bunch of fake files put there by the RIAA. It was there so the RIAA could catch people. People download from other places and use other clients. People use mIRC, Bit Torrent, Blubster, Ares, Kazaa Lite K++, Grokster, iMesh and Warez sites to download file they want. Bit Torrent has many different clients but the idea stays the same. They go to a torrent site, a good one is suprnova.org. they have many torrents of movies, music, software, and games. People are more for piracy than against it. Many people lose money because of piracy but then many more people support it. Buying the movies at a street corner is also supporting it because one is giving the money to a pirater.
    Piraters could be many types of people. They could be any race or they could be using it for terrorism.. Yes terrorism, the thing that is why America is at war. Some people are selling movies to support terrorists. Downloads or sharing the piece is what makes things bad. Softlifing hurts them too because it is sharing the software. The same key is used but it is the same as downloading it. It was not paid for but it was borrowed. Same idea as stealing. When you sell a computer and the hard drive still has the data on it and it has software on it it is called hard disk bundling. The person buying it bought the computer, not the software. They are getting the program then for free

2. Lounge   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Exactly how much do you get paid to post this on every Forum you can find?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Quote Originally Posted by DDRFREAK1030
    Piraters could be many types of people. They could be any race or they could be using it for terrorism.. Yes terrorism, the thing that is why America is at war.
    i like, first the very subtle hint that Johnny Foreigner is a terrorist, then patronising the reader
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

4. Lounge   -   #4
    secret squirrel
    senior???????? 'janet & john' is better scripted

5. Lounge   -   #5
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Have you proof read this for grammatical errors or spelling mistakes? Have you considered the type of language you are using?

I didn't read much beyond the first couple of sentences as it immediately struck me that your opening line 'there was and average person' did not make me think of a 'paper', it felt more like a conversation with one of your mates.

I don't know about the content as I didn't read it but in my opinion you need to restructure it, have a proper introduction, main body of paper, conclusion.

Then, the content will be clearer and you will get a better mark....

erm...if I was marking it of course

Obviously...not having read the question you were set, I can't know what you have been actually asked to do.
    Last edited by sArA; 11-15-2004 at 11:08 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    i am a student in school(tokay high)

it is a graduation requirement -_-

it is suppose to be a reasearch paper. a learning strech, do field work on it and stuff( got taht part done) i pirated ^_^

um like it is important

any more feedback?

current time 5:14pm

7. Lounge   -   #7
    EtaunisniHtrad's Avatar Just Another Fad
    you're boned

8. Lounge   -   #8
    How about adding some irony where microsoft was found with pirated music files? Read my thread in software section.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Sorry to say but it looks crap, and havent even read it.

With Luv:
    Captain Hook, Teh Pirate of Teh Year
    Spoiler: Show

10. Lounge   -   #10
    the introduction needs alot of work but the idea that priacy is gradual is good. no one is born a pirate. most of the pirated material is available to just about anyone with an internet connection as you stated with the numerous sites and p2p apps. the title is a little vague, it doesn't say what piracy effects, unless you mean everything which is a huge topic and won't have time to finish (less that a few hours to go). The structure of the paper needs work to since it seems you have alot of sentence fragments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast