Thread: Demise of IM?

SirFrench's Avatar Headcase

Surprised/Amazed

Does anyone else think we are seeing the demise of instant messaging in favour of forums and other web based comms?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    No

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    No there is a need for instant messaging and video links. The only thing I have against it is that you can keep a copy of your conversation. Nothing wrong with that in theory. but when some people abuse this by displaying conversations on Forums then it tends to put you off using the facility.

It has not happened to me. But I have seen it happen to other people.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    No
    agreed. instant messaging is the most effective form of one-on-one communication over the internet right now, 'cause forums are a group activity and email has been ruined by spam (people don't wanna use email as much as they used to, everything has to be filtered, the average person has a very anxious finger on the "delete" button).

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Well you can't cyber on a forum there's too many people around

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    No there is a need for instant messaging and video links. The only thing I have against it is that you can keep a copy of your conversation. Nothing wrong with that in theory. but when some people abuse this by displaying conversations on Forums then it tends to put you off using the facility.

It has not happened to me. But I have seen it happen to other people.
    This is not necessarily a bad thing, Boab. Everytime DanB tries to cyber with me on MSN I post it on some forum. He'll learn to refrain, eventually.

I think the usage of IM is increasing exponentially rather than decreasing. With a lot more people having Broadband now (in the UK) my friends and I often voice chat on IM rather than using our mobiles to arrange nights out and that.

I believe that it will continue to grow for a number of years before this trend is reversed too.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.