Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mail clients with gmail

I'm currently using Outlook Express to send/receive mail from Gmail. Regular outlook won't send (yes i set it up correctly). I've tried Thunderbird, but it has issues authorizing my username/pass at random times (then it will suddenly start working again, go figure). Foxmail can receive from 2 accounts, but only sends from one so i'm not using it.

So i guess what i'm asking is... does anyone know how to fix thunderbird? I liked that one the best so far.

Also, are you able to minimize these mail clients to your system tray? I really hate leaving Outlook Express running in my taskbar (its annoying).

Thanks for any info.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    There is an extension for Thunderbird which minimises it to your systray.

I haven't been able to set up my Thunderbird to send from 2 different smtp servers though

Had no probs with authentication yet, have you get it set up likethis ?

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Yeah, i followed the instructions. Maybe gmail was being retarded for a little while (i noticed outlook had some issues too).

by the way you can use two different smtps (I got that to work), to go from two different smtp servers:

under the "outgoing mail" click advanced, and you can add another smpt server. Then click advanced under server settings (for either account), and you can pick which smpt server you want to use for that account. These are really general instructions because i'm going from memory (already uninstalled thunderbird...), but hopefully this helps a bit.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Thanks for that Mojo

it wouldn't surprise me if gmail did have a few glitches with the pop3 bit for a while though

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    What's that extension, Dan? Does it work with 0.9? People seem to be a bit slow updating their themes/extensions for the latest versions of thunderbird and firefox.

I'm currently using something called "Mailbox Verifier", but it would be much nicer to put thunderbird in the systray.

I haven't had any probs with gmail pop though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    What's that extension, Dan? Does it work with 0.9? People seem to be a bit slow updating their themes/extensions for the latest versions of thunderbird and firefox.

I'm currently using something called "Mailbox Verifier", but it would be much nicer to put thunderbird in the systray.

I haven't had any probs with gmail pop though.

I tried looking for it earlier for Mojo, I didn't get it off the main extension site but some blokes personal one.

Let go browsing and see if I can find it

I remember it was on a german site as i had to use babelfish to translate my way round it
    Last edited by DanB; 11-19-2004 at 11:50 AM.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Had a look around myself.

Found a German site which eventually led me to this, which is what I assume you are talking about. Works a treat, thanks.

Sounds like it works for Firefox too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Had a look around myself.

Found a German site which eventually led me to this, which is what I assume you are talking about. Works a treat, thanks.

Sounds like it works for Firefox too.
    Good stuff

Unfortunately I had to a reinstall and lost it or I could have helped you out quicker

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Works like a charm with firefox too - excellent.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast