Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video and other stuff

_
    I am currently thinking about updrading my PC.

I wish to add RAM (already have 256MB, want to upgrade to 512) and install a video card (currently using crappy ass integrated video).

With RAM, is it just plug and play? You stick it in and it works?

And about the video, I have serveral questions:

1) I have seen that the popular cards are the Radeon by ATi and GeForce by nVidia. Which would you recommend?

2) Which model would you recommend? I am aiming to spend around CAD$100.

3) Would there be any conflicts with my existing integrated video?
    Last edited by [Spam]; 11-19-2004 at 10:18 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    memory should plug-n-play. just be sure to power off and unplug your PC first. then ground your self by touching the chassis. that's it. it should automatically be recognized. you may even see the change on-screen when booting up.

about your video card, $100 will get you a card that will satisfy most people. look for DDR-type memory, the more the better. CPU clock speed is negligible(unless your a hardcore gamer), TV out is a plus. some cards have TV tuners, usually more expensive tho.

you may have to disable your existing on-board video. either with a jumper physically located on your motherboard or in your systems BIOS(basic input/output system). pressing F10 when your booting up usually lets you into the BIOS. the change needed should be easy to figure out.

maybe others have some more answers..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    memory should plug-n-play. just be sure to power off and unplug your PC first. then ground your self by touching the chassis. that's it. it should automatically be recognized. you may even see the change on-screen when booting up.

about your video card, $100 will get you a card that will satisfy most people. look for DDR-type memory, the more the better. CPU clock speed is negligible(unless your a hardcore gamer), TV out is a plus. some cards have TV tuners, usually more expensive tho.

you may have to disable your existing on-board video. either with a jumper physically located on your motherboard or in your systems BIOS(basic input/output system). pressing F10 when your booting up usually lets you into the BIOS. the change needed should be easy to figure out.

maybe others have some more answers..

Im glad im not the only one who knows this.Scared the fuck out me for a moment,yes all of what he stated is in fact true.I suggest a ATI card,as Nvidia is just shit for 100.The fx family isnt lovely.About any problems that may occur,be sure to "snap" the card in.Many people dont seat the card in all the way,causing many to claim "broken card" too soon.One other problem may be fast write,just throwing that in for user info.Other then that,a ATI card shouldnt have any problems.I suggest a 9200 to 9550 for your graphics.Good balance of quality and speed for low end users.Tell then adieu
    We"Think TOO different"-Anton LaVey

Image Removed by RF: Too big and inappropriate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    _
    Would a ATI Radeon 9200-9550 get good framerates for Call of Duty?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    my geforce fx5200, very cheap now, isn't too bad.

for newer games like call of duty and more coming out soon you might want a better card than the 9200.
    oh and dont get the 9200 because it doesn't support directx 9.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    my geforce fx5200, very cheap now, isn't too bad.

for newer games like call of duty and more coming out soon you might want a better card than the 9200.
    oh and dont get the 9200 because it doesn't support directx 9.
    I LOVE YOU TOO,Another sad victim to Nvidia.Its always fun until its someone you know.Yes the 9200 and 9550 will get far better frames then 52fx famly.I would have to say its fairly smooth tell you get graphic intense frames with lots of lighting and shading.Tell then adieu

P.S.9200 does support D9,yet its built on a D8.1 core with D9 support.
    Last edited by HailAntonLaVey; 11-20-2004 at 02:26 AM.
    We"Think TOO different"-Anton LaVey

Image Removed by RF: Too big and inappropriate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by HailAntonLaVey
    I LOVE YOU TOO,Another sad victim to Nvidia.Its always fun until its someone you know.Yes the 9200 and 9550 will get far better frames then 52fx famly.I would have to say its fairly smooth tell you get graphic intense frames with lots of lighting and shading.Tell then adieu

P.S.9200 does support D9,yet its built on a D8.1 core with D9 support.
    5200 isn't that bad.
    and why are you calling me a "victim of nvidia?"
    nvidia have made many great cards. they aren't a bad company.
    and i got this card for free from my aunt anyway.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    _
    I just looked in the BIOS and there is no option to disable onboard video. However there are options to disable the onboard modem, lan, etc...
    Last edited by [Spam]; 11-20-2004 at 06:01 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    As far as gfx cards go, get the best you can afford but bear in mind a couple of things.
    - ATI cards are faster
    - nVidia are well known for making drivers that work fine for 99% of people straight off the bat, while ATI are renowned for makng drivers that need a little tweaking and sometimes just don't work well for people.
    Personally I'd go for an ATI and worry about sorting out crap later.
    Right now I have a GF4 BTW.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by [Spam]
    I just looked in the BIOS and there is no option to disable onboard video. However there are options to disable the onboard modem, lan, etc...
    Wouldn't telling us the motherboard model let us in on your secret?

You ask for help but leave that information out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast