Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking Problem

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I've just finished setting up 2 PC's together so it's possible to share files, and everything seems in order... however, how do I actually share these files?

How do I look into PC1 from PC2 or vice versa? It's driving me crazy because I know it's probably something simple but I'm at a loss.

Firewall rules have been made to allow both PC's to commuicate and both can ping each other fine.

All folders that need to be marked as 'shared' are done so.

Any ideas?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Browse Network Neighborhood, My Network Places or whatever it's called on the version of Windows that you hav e installed.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Browse Network Neighborhood, My Network Places or whatever it's called on the version of Windows that you hav e installed.
    There's nothing in there related to PC2 or how to connect to it.

Local Area Connection is the connection I use to access the web.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    My Router IP is: 192.168.1.1

PC1 IP: 192.168.1.2
    PC2 IP: 192.168.1.3

Pinging PC 2 without any problems...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    You must share folders on both PCs. Just right-click on a folder and choose 'share folder'.

You should be able to view the other PC in 'My Network Places'. Otherwise use this 'url' in Windows Explorer: \\ComputerNameOfTheOtherPC\

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Ok. Everything is set up as it should. The workgroup name I have chosen for both PC's is 'ALPHA' and that is fine. PC2 did revert a couple of times to 'WORKGROUP' but it seems to have sorted everything out now.

However, there is nothing in 'My Network Places' relating to PC2 or vice versa on the other computer. What should be there? If it's missing, what does this mean?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Check you can see the existence of hte other pc by clicking "view workgroup computers" which is on hte left hand side of the network places window. If you can see the other computer but not explore it then turn on simple file sharing and see if that helps.
    its in windows explorer -> tools -> folder options -> view and its at the bottom of the list. Basically simple file sharing means that xp doesn't require passwords to access shared folders / shared resources.

If that helps but you don't like leaving your computer open on the network then you'll have to set up matching usernames and passwords on both comps. (can just be user level access as opposed to admin)

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    almost forgot enable netbeui as well:

Install NetBEUI on Windows XP
    The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
    Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, perform the following steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.
    The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I've managed to find both computers in 'My Network Connections' bu can't connect.

Get this come up...

“You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.”

Both PC's have been set for sharing.

A search on Google revealed this to be a common problem. A 'fix' was to create accounts on both PC's with the same rights as their own PC.

Suprise. Didn't work.

How fu*king complicated do M$ want to make it??? I mean if it was a little bit hard I'd probably get around it, but this is a joke.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Setting up the accounts:

Your login on pc1 should match an account created on pc2
    your login on pc2 should match an account created on pc1

ie if you normally login with username samurai psword xyz on pc1 then that account should exist on pc2.
    It does work, enabling simple file sharing is the alternative and is easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast