Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Genes Unzipped

Poster
    Your Genes Unzipped

I don't know what to make of this. I am still pondering it. I loved the name given the book, though. Pretty clever.

I guess I never considered such a thing as being genetically driven. I also never thought of it as looking for a person genetically superior to your mate.

What does everyone else think?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Load of baloney. People make their own choices, not everything is genetically predetermined.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    Load of baloney. People make their own choices, not everything is genetically predetermined.
    I don't think the study is "baloney", at all. I think certain people have a genetic predisposition to "cheat".

I fully agree with you that people can conciously NOT act on their genetic urges, and that this genetic predispostion gives them no legitimate excuse for doing so.

Alcoholism has strong genetic links as well, but no DNA I've ever seen can open a bottle.

We are all animals, filled with urges. Smelling a delicious meal makes me salivate and desire that food. Do I knock people over and steal their food? No, we are living in a society with "rules of conduct". We have a concious awareness of the "big picture" which overlays our primtive urges.

One may have stronger urges to cheat or have a drink of alcohol than the average person, but acting on these urges, knowing full well the consequence, is totally inapproriate.

The article presents an opposing argument that people who cheat may have grown up in a household in which people looked the other way in regard to unfaithful behavior. Since parents are role models, children growing up in this environment might see this as an appropriate way to act. "Do what I say, not what I do" has never been a very successful way to raise children. Parents lead by example, even if they don't know it

I think both men have valid points and the final answer is a combination of genetics and environment.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:47 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I agree that we are genetically pre-programed to be more liable to certain behaviour and we do have a choice to not act on it.

As an example men with high levels of testosterone are naturally more aggressive. This difference can be seen with the eye if anyone has ever known a gentile person that started to "cheat" in certain sports such as body building by taking hormones etc....

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    The article presents an opposing argument that people who cheat may have grown up in a household in which people looked the other way in regard to unfaithful behavior. Since parents are role models, children growing up in this environment might see this as an appropriate way to act. "Do what I say, not what I do" has never been a very successful way to raise children. Parents lead by example, even if they don't know it

I think both men have valid points and the final answer is a combination of genetics and environment.
    I agree with this...but not just as a way to influence children...it works in world diplomacy as well

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Oops sorry. I though it said your jeans unzipped.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I don't think the study is "baloney", at all. I think certain people have a genetic predisposition to "cheat".

I fully agree with you that people can conciously NOT act on their genetic urges, and that this genetic predispostion gives them no legitimate excuse for doing so.

Alcoholism has strong genetic links as well, but no DNA I've ever seen can open a bottle.

We are all animals, filled with urges. Smelling a delicious meal makes me salivate and desire that food. Do I knock people over and steal their food? No, we are living in a society with "rules of conduct". We have a concious awareness of the "big picture" which overlays our primtive urges.

One may have stronger urges to cheat or have a drink of alcohol than the average person, but acting on these urges, knowing full well the consequence, is totally inapproriate.

It is bullshit.

Were the women happy in their relationship?

Were they promiscuous before marriage?

Did they have an affair before marriage?

Are their clits ultra sensitive?

Comparing alcoholism to "cheating" is ludicrous.

Alcoholism is relating to physical as well mental dependency.

Cheating is a behavior. One can cum with their mate but these women choose not to.

All you guys believe anything that has a "study". Use the brain man.

"Studies" showed Phen Phen was good for you.

"Studies" showed Vioxx was too.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Alcoholism- genetic predisposition
    Alcoholic- one who acts on said predisposition

Horny momma- lady born with enhanced sexual appetite
    Cheater- one who violates her husbands trust to get off.

Both cases have a genetic predisposition
    Both cases are strictly a matter of choice in regard to action.

Alcoholism and Horny mommas NEVER have to become alcoholics and cheaters, that is their choice.

Thanks, the analogy was perfect.

I don't even think you read my post and you certainly didn't read the article. The author clearly stated that there is NO cheating gene. "Cheating" is a human concept. I clearly stated that it was a predisposition to have desires, but the cheating was fully a matter of choice.

By the way, this fits very nicely into our discussion of homosexuals. They are genetical constituted to be attracted to men AND they act on it since it harms no one (unlike alcoholism or cheating).

By the way "Bullshit" is not a rebuttal and calling something ludacris but not explaining why it is such, is merely a rant.

Thank you and please drive through.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Alcoholism- genetic predisposition
    Alcoholic- one who acts on said predisposition

Horny momma- lady born with enhanced sexual appetite
    Cheater- one who violates her husbands trust to get off.

Both cases have a genetic predisposition
    Both cases are strictly a matter of choice in regard to action.

Alcoholism and Horny mommas NEVER have to become alcoholics and cheaters, that is their choice.

Thanks, the analogy was perfect.

I don't even think you read my post and you certainly didn't read the article. The author clearly stated that there is NO cheating gene. "Cheating" is a human concept. I clearly stated that it was a predisposition to have desires, but the cheating was fully a matter of choice.

By the way, this fits very nicely into our discussion of homosexuals. They are genetical constituted to be attracted to men AND they act on it since it harms no one (unlike alcoholism or cheating).

By the way "Bullshit" is not a rebuttal and calling something ludacris but not explaining why it is such, is merely a rant.

Thank you and please drive through.
    Oh good we agree. There is no cheating gene.

Your analogy is not perfect.

You just compared an act and concept to a psychophysiological disorder.
    There is no predisposition to cheat. There may be a predisposition to fuck alot but not cheat. Get it right.

Scientists are trying apply a concept that is environmental as it relates to choice.
    I wonder did they ask other questions as it relates to those women's lives.
    Did they ask were their clits very sensitive? What about those that were not orgasmic?

Some folks want their names in the papers.

I've heard the same about children who grow up with one parent abusing the other. There could be a genetic disposition to aggression (which can be linked to hormones) and/or it can be environmental.

You say that this fits nicely with the homosexual discussion. How is it that a man is attracted to another man? What makes him attracted to that man?

I know what I'm attracted to about a woman but even that is different from other men. Why is this line drawn only between the sexes and not my particular desires as a heterosexual?

"butbutbut....it's sexuality....it's,it's,it's genetic."
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I know what I'm attracted to about a woman but even that is different from other men. Why is this line drawn only between the sexes and not my particular desires as a heterosexual?

"butbutbut....it's sexuality....it's,it's,it's genetic."
    you like women with big butts...not men with big butts...so wouldn't it be fair to say that liking big butts is not your sexuality, but a preference within your sexuality ?

round and round we go

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    heterosexual.

1.Sexually oriented to persons of the opposite sex.
    2.Of or relating to different sexes.

homosexual.

1 : of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward individuals of one's own sex

2 : of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between individuals of the same sex
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-29-2004 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast