Thread: Phoenix AwardBIOS unlock....

BigDaddy555's Avatar ONE MIN. NINE SEC.
    how do you unlock this so that I can change the multiplier. I want to overclock my processor, but I cannot set the clk/volt to anything but auto. There is not a manual input for my clk speed or voltage.

BTW its a MSI VIA KM400 + 8237 chipset based mobo.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy555
    how do you unlock this so that I can change the multiplier. I want to overclock my processor, but I cannot set the clk/volt to anything but auto. There is not a manual input for my clk speed or voltage.

BTW its a MSI VIA KM400 + 8237 chipset based mobo.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000
    no can do....... the multiplier is locked in the CPU, not the mobo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    though you could try unlocking it this way:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/

THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! you're gonna be hardmodding your CPU, doing it wrong can cause permanent damage to your chip........ also, if you dont have the right chip, you may also do more harm than good.......

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thanks for the input....I was afraid of that. I probably wouldnt see much diff anyway!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just had a look at the manual, that board appears to have absolutely NO features for controlling clock speed.

You may be able to adjust the FSB frequency with software. I know that in the past MSI have had a utility which will do that, but I don't know if it works on that mobo.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Just had a look at the manual, that board appears to have absolutely NO features for controlling clock speed.

You may be able to adjust the FSB frequency with software. I know that in the past MSI have had a utility which will do that, but I don't know if it works on that mobo.

Thanks for looking that up. Thats why I was asking if there was a way around this....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Here's a link to the software. You should have got a copy with the motherboard, but in any case this is the latest version.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Here's a link to the software. You should have got a copy with the motherboard, but in any case this is the latest version.
    Thanks for the link! I feel dumb for saying this, but I dont know what I need to do with it. Yes I have a floppy and a cd, but I think its just drivers.
    Last edited by BigDaddy555; 11-29-2004 at 02:53 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Hmmm, the software isn't mentioned as a utility for that motherboard, so I assume it doesn't work with it. In fact it isn't mentioned with any of the KM series of mobos, I assume it is a restriction with the chipset or board architecture.

There's normally another button marked "CPU Fsb" which is missing, and the button on the right marked "Stop" usually says "Start". That's for automatically detecting the max FSB.

Sorry if I raised false hopes.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Hmmm, the software isn't mentioned as a utility for that motherboard, so I assume it doesn't work with it. In fact it isn't mentioned with any of the KM series of mobos, I assume it is a restriction with the chipset or board architecture.

There's normally another button marked "CPU Fsb" which is missing, and the button on the right marked "Stop" usually says "Start". That's for automatically detecting the max FSB.

Sorry if I raised false hopes.
    oh well.....Id probably just end up frying it anyway. Runs great, why mess with it anyway, right! Thanks!