View Poll Results: do you use 'gay' an insult?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

24 36.36%
  • no

29 43.94%
  • only when i know i cant offend anyone

13 19.70%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is 'gay' an insult?

manker's Avatar effendi
    Gay can also be used as a compliment.

It is epitomised in the dire TV programme 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' where homosexual guys make fat straight blokes look presentable, but the notion that gay folk are better groomed and better with colours was initially hinted at on programs such as Changing Rooms and since has progressed to the stage where to be a male on an interior decor program you literally have to be a homosexual.

Recently I overheard the missus say to her friend on the telephone that I'd bought her a great outfit and that in general my taste in clothes for her is only bettered by her friend Alun - who is gay.

So my choosing an outfit being likened to a gay person's choice in clothing was a compliment, no?
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

It is epitomised in the dire TV programme 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' where homosexual guys make fat straight blokes look presentable, but the notion that gay folk are better groomed and better with colours was initially hinted at on programs such as Changing Rooms and since has progressed to the stage where to be a male on an interior decor program you literally have to be a homosexual.

Recently I overheard the missus say to her friend on the telephone that I'd bought her a great outfit and that in general my taste in clothes for her is only bettered by her friend Alun - who is gay.

So my choosing an outfit being likened to a gay person's choice in clothing was a compliment, no?
    If you choose to take it that way, sure.

Seems to me to also be a nod and affirmation to gays' general abilities in the arena of adornment: If it's ugly (no matter what it is), a gay person can make it look better.

Somehow I see objections being raised to this type of generalization, much as blacks were upset when it was noticed that, by and large, they were physically superior athletes.

I think the whole issue is gay-

Lord, what an ugly house!

Call the Homosexual Contractor's Guild immediately!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #23
    manker's Avatar effendi

Well, I haven't noted any objections yet, J2. Apart from by straight interior designers, who presumably find the whole concept rather irritating and career inhibiting.

Btw, being a chap of taste and discernment I felt it necessary to change my hairdresser for a gentleman with a slightly more fey stance and a much higher vocal intonation.
    Last edited by manker; 12-04-2004 at 06:36 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Lounge   -   #24

Well, I haven't noted any objections yet, J2. Apart from by straight interior designers, who presumably find the whole concept rather irritating and career inhibiting.

Btw, being a chap of taste and discernment I felt it necessary to change my hairdresser for a gentleman with a slightly more fey stance and a much higher vocal intonation.
    The objections will come, trust me; when it becomes obvious that such stereotyping (for that is precisely what it is, yes?) is a pure-D insult.

As to your last, go for the more freely-flowing nasal version, and get one who speaks with palms raised and facing outward.

They're supposed to be much more serviceable (or so I've heard).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #25
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    As to your last, go for the more freely-flowing nasal version, and get one who speaks with palms raised and facing outward.

They're supposed to be much more serviceable (or so I've heard).

he was gay?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Thats a very unstable statement imo, many offensive phrases and words can be used as compliments, but only to certain people , from certain people, not generally.

It all really boils down to who says it to who and in which context, if a little old lady said "You're very gay today " you would take it as her meaning you're happy, if a drunk twat in a pub said "You're gay" you would take offence, or most people would take some form of offence.

I've always said it's not possible to determine what offends, someone can call me a "twat" and I'll laugh, someone I don't know says it and I would'nt like it.

I honestly don't think it's possible to say "Gay in insulting" or "Gay is not insulting"
    Some will be offended, some wont it comes down to either knowing someone or being able to read a person so you know roughly what you can say to them.

Jonno

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    "Gay" is not an insult, but often used as an insult.
    yup

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

he was gay?
    Jolson?

Not that I'm aware of, but where he is concerned I don't claim any special awareness.

Well-spotted, BTW-apart from any specific knowledge about his sexual peccadilloes, he would seem to fit the described parameters perfectly.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Poster
    That depends on the person, if i were gay i wouldn't be insulted to be called gay.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    People who know me know that that I do not mean any offense by using the word, or many other words for that matter. When in the company of people who don't know me I am someone else entirely and try to be alert to my use of language so as not to offend.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123