Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC:" New claim on location of Atlantis"

ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Bring back world news and events please.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4011545.stm

Interesting

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You could have posted it in The Drawing Room.

It is very interesting, although I don't believe this is all that accurate, it is probably some remnants of what existed before the Santorini explosion.

Also that article mentions Plato but it fails to state that Plato clearly said that Atlantis lies beyond the shoulders of Heracles (Gibraltar) - not in the Med, then.

In any case, everyone already knows that if Atlantis existed at all then it was located in Antarctica, before the ice sheets. How else can a total lack of archaeological evidence be explained.
    Last edited by manker; 11-16-2004 at 10:28 AM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    i remember reading there used to be a jade route that was up north, and they thought that might be where it was, somewhere in the north atlantic or artic.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Probably under the ice, but in Greenland, not Antarctica.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    As I understand it, the argument is that human civilisation stretches back a few thousand years earlier than we currntly hold records for and that at the end of the last ice age cica 11,000 years ago the sea levels rose by nearly 300 feet. The argument goes that as is the case today, almost all major settlements were coastal and were covered by the rising sea levels - hence the flood myths. The levels rose quickly enough to cover the settlements but not so quick as to wipe people out.

I believe there is some chap that writes about this and has made a couple of TV programmes - he will be extremely moist at this discovery. Of course if this is true and an early city has been found near Cyprus it may well prove his theory but the city might not be Atlantis but simply a provincial outpost. It stands to reason that if the theory is sound there will be more than one drowned city. (imho )

Anyways, I saw a TV prog that suggests Atlantis was flown to the other side of the Universe.
    Last edited by Biggles; 11-16-2004 at 07:30 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    There are a few underwater cities around the world..

Watched an entire series on underwater archaeology a couple of years ago showing some, in all corners of the world.

Some were very advanced civilizations for their age..

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What if the 'Shoulders Of Heracles was not Gibralter. But somewhere in the Med. Remember that there are a lot of cities under the MED. We know this to be true. If these cities were above the sea then it is possible that another area could fit the description of the 'Shoulders Of Heracles'. Just a thought.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    That is a good point, Boab. I forget the guy's name who propagates the theory that the Atlantis was in the Mediterranean but he makes a similar claim. There is some evidence that there was advanced civilisation on Crete and the surrounding islands a long time - millenia - before Sumer and Egypt.

My preferred theory is that Antarctica was once 2000 miles North of it's current position and housed Atlantis - at least I believe it is the most plausible theory. I am not entirely convinced of it's existence but in that area there have been massive techtonic shifts and it would explain a few things concerning the prevalence of flood myths in almost all civilisations and the apparent technological superiority of both Ancient Egyptians and South Americans circa 3-2000BC c.f. more recent counterparts.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Mesopotamia knew more about Astronomy in 4000 BC than we did just a couple of hundred years ago.. hell less than 100 years ago.

Their Astonomers knew the colour of all the planets... and remember Pluto was only discovered last century, and we havent known about all their colours for more than a few years...

They knew the orbits and numbered them... interestingly enough Mercury was number 10, not 1 or 9 ...and there is a theory that there is another planet after Pluto, due to the orbits of the other planets...

I'd love to know how the hell they knew these things 6000 years ago

/me wanders off to watch the X Files on Sky One...
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-17-2004 at 01:04 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    They knew the orbits and numbered them... interestingly enough Mercury was number 10, not 1 or 9 ...and there is a theory that there is another planet after Pluto, due to the orbits of the other planets...
    Well, I guess we've discovered Sedna now to fill that gap, but in reality, Sedna, like Pluto (and Charon, its "moon"), are simply large examples of Kuiper Belt objects, orbiting the sun at the very distant edges of the solar system, and there are billions of them..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast