Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your computer clock maybe wrong......

DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    free again

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    The only reason that java is slower than 'real' languages is because it has to be interpreted first. If that is a relatively small part of the procedure compared to the actual work done there is no reason why it shouldn't work almost as fast.

Your claim that it is faster than windows doing the same file move is almost certainly wrong. When windows moves a file, it has actually finished moving it when it says it has finished. In contrast the java program hands that task over to windows. Windows will have cached some of the move and allowed the java program to continue. Windows will still be moving the file while your program is waiting for you to "Press any key to continue...".
    A JIT compiler goes some way to solving the speed problems related to Java.

In the "real world" Java programs take around about 10 times as long to execute as programs written in C/C++ (when you're not using a JIT compiler).

As for the time taken to move the files, I had suspected that the program would take the same amount of time (or even longer) than windows, however, it always takes less time. I don't think you're correct in saying that the move will not be complete after my program has finished execution, since the file is available to be used as soon as the program has finished execution

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Do not use any gator crap!!! Try this: Timesync. Works in any version of Windows NT family (NT, 2000, XP). It runs as a service to sync with a time server at a given interval..

Run the installer...

Go to the control panel -> Click TimeSync icon.
    Click the "Use new SNTP" button and add:

time.windows.com
    time.nist.gov

If it is not already there.
    Last edited by Ariel_001; 12-02-2004 at 02:33 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Damn, I thought I was in software world !!!..
    Last edited by Ariel_001; 12-02-2004 at 02:35 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234