Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: prob on my mom's comp

Poster
    it cant be the processor as everything gets powered up and running (with the exception of the ram of course) can it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    If it was the RAM gfx or the CPU then you'd get beeps, so you're left with either mobo or PSU.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Elmo
    it cant be the processor as everything gets powered up and running (with the exception of the ram of course) can it?
    that is what i thought at first until i change the processor

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    ok...it might be the cpu (hoping its not)...i just received a new board, gigabyte 7nf-rz and after it boots up once, it stop working. now, i press the power button and all it does is it boot up for 2 seconds (fans/hsf spins, hdd starts going to work) then shuts off....however, i suspect this might be a heating issue with the board. i thought this was odd and thought it might be a heating issue so i put my finger on the "nvidia" chipset on the mobo....oh boy was that a bad idea...it literally burnt the skin off of my thumb.

but back to the old mobo, after i ordered the new mobo, i took out the cpu and put it back in...and it worked. so it might be the cpu being loose from its socket. but now, it stop working again. WTF i tried repositioning the cpu into its socket again, this time it didnt help.

now im stumped...is it the mobo or is it the cpu. hoping its not the cpu because i dont want to spend anymore money.

EDIT:forgot to say i tried a different psu...same prob
    Last edited by Mr. Elmo; 12-08-2004 at 05:00 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    how many watts are these PSUs you are trying.
    It really sounds like a power problem...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    one is 300, one is 500

if the cpu was defective, would it still heat up ? im asking because even though the comp doesnt post, the cpu still heats up (took the hsf off and put my fnger on it, it was quite warm). so right now, i think the cpu works, the psu work (dnt think its a power issue because i disconnected everything except cpu, mobo and vid and it still would not post), the rams work, the vid work....that leaves me with 2 defective motherboard?
    Last edited by Mr. Elmo; 12-08-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123