Thread: system slowed to a crawl

VIP...just ask any
    This may be long winded (ok, it is) but...

For some reason my system has slowed way down... it's like I don't have any memory, or a processor problem.

If I use photoshop with anything else running, and draw a simple line, it segments... as if it were lag.
    If I use the "add remove programs", anything I try to remove takes 10 full minutes just to start the file reading process.
    If I try to load a program...same thing, 10 full minutes before it starts the installation.
    Winamp takes forever to play anything.
    BTW, all these symptoms were never apparent before... I used to run several programs at one time (i.e. winamp, photoshop, and acrobat) all memory hogs
    I have two HHD's one w/ the OS and the other for apps and such... If I restart the system, I sometimes loose the second HHD, but then comes back when I fully shut down the computer.

Can I re-install the OS (XP Home) without loosing any data, or would that even be a possible answer?

I know any answers can be be varied depending on any number of scenarios, and this may not be the right board for this question, but I'm at a loss.

System:
    Processor-Intel 1.6GHz
    Memory- 1GB, 133's
    OS- XP Home

OS HHD- 20GB w/ 7.7 GB free space
    slave HHD- 160GB w/ 3 partitions - 1 @40GB w/ 27GB free... 1 @ 80GB w/ 17GB free... 1 @30GB w/ 7GB free (the remaining 10GB is in the 3rd partition which contains system "unmovable" files (or so it says)

I know it's a stretch trying to get an answer to such an involved question.. but Thanx for any help that may be offered

(edit to Mods: If this would be better in the "hardware" section would you please move it there... thanx)
    Last edited by whiterook-2; 12-02-2004 at 10:09 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    I think this is morelike a Software problem.

It sounds that you could have some malware (spyware and/or viris etc)
    loose on the PC. Run some scans and see if something pops up.

Here's good tips about the issues:
    The Ultimate Cleanup\Tweaking\Security Guide

And when you know you got a clean system, you could try the Repair option on the XP.
    Atleast WinXp Pro has the "repair" option, to re-install without losing data.
    Thats what I would try.

Just boot from the CD and you get a Menu where you have the option to Repair.

There's also option somehow (in windows) to check system files
    if they're corrupted but I cant remember how.
    I do re-install of whole Windows usually, if I get stuck somehow.
    As I dont think those Repair and System File recovery tools are
    good enough. I prefe ra "clean table" so to speak.
    Of course, it means re-installing my apps too (which takes time)

Last edited by Afronaut; 12-02-2004 at 10:29 AM.
    Spoiler: Show

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Gee were do you start? To check system files ,Go to run, type sfc /scannow. With your windows disk in the drive. I would try a System restore point aswell. Could be spyware , a virus, or just a dirty Registry. But as Afronaut, said Rossco's guide is great place to start.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    http://tvg.cjb.net/index.php?article=tuneup direct link to the tuneup section.
    http://tvg.cjb.net/index.php?article=security you should also look at this section for how to scan for viruses, spyware and other bad stuff.

you may also want to look at the cleanup section.
    Last edited by tesco; 12-02-2004 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Gave wrong url...oops.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    VIP...just ask any
    thanx guys... I guess I should have included, I have run just about every online scan out there, as well as my own trend micro/spybot/ad-aware. I have '0' fragmented files on all drives.
    Thanx Rossco... I've been lookin for those links, and couldn't remember where I saw them
    I'll give Afronaut's OS repair a try....might wait for a few days though...just convinced the wife we need another comp

Hello 915 express!! 3.4 ghz with a gig of ddr2 533's...Some days your the bug...other days your the windsheild

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterook-2
    thanx guys... I guess I should have included, I have run just about every online scan out there, as well as my own trend micro/spybot/ad-aware. I have '0' fragmented files on all drives.
    Thanx Rossco... I've been lookin for those links, and couldn't remember where I saw them
    I'll give Afronaut's OS repair a try....might wait for a few days though...just convinced the wife we need another comp

Hello 915 express!! 3.4 ghz with a gig of ddr2 533's...Some days your the bug...other days your the windsheild

Congrats with the new comp!!!

Excellent strategy:
    1. Infect PC with crapware
    2. Show the wife/mom/GF how slow it runs
    3. Order new PC

Spoiler: Show

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterook-2

Ya but then you should still fix it . Mabye do a clean install. Because if your honey is anything like mine , you still get stuck with the second computer, the slow one!