Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a DVD9 game to DVD5?

metal gear solid substance is larger then 5GB's... Theres really no point there is only like 3 or 4 ps2 games that a DVD9. As far as I know u'll have to rip some of the content out. Unless there's a dummy file and by editing that u can alot of times cut the size down by quit abit but not all games have dummy files.

Edit:to know if a file is a dummy file it usually has a rediculous name...open it with a hex editor and see if its all dots. if it is all dots that file can be taken out and replaced with a 0kb file with the same file name ofcourse. then use cdgen to rebuild the iso.
    Last edited by freak; 12-03-2004 at 02:47 PM.

2. Games   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    metal gear solid substance is larger then 5GB's... Theres really no point there is only like 3 or 4 ps2 games that a DVD9.
    i think it might be closer to about 10 PS2 games that are on DVD-9 discs. but yeah, DVD-9 games are still very rare on PS2 and Xbox.

as for Halo 2... Halo 2 is just barely over the capacity of a DVD-5. seriously, it's only a few MB over the limit. you can get it on to a 4.37GB DVD by deleting the update.xbe and dashupdate.xbe files and replacing them with 0KB files.

@Vamp: as far as i know, you can't use Alcohol to build a PS2 ISO out of a folder. you need to use Sony CD & DVD Generator, which is a program that Sony created for game developers to make PS2 discs. if you are trying to reduce the size of a PS2 game, you may need to delete some movie or audio files and then "re-link" other files (i dunno how this is done, but the info is prolly available somewhere on the 'net) to the missing ones so that the game doesn't realize files have been removed.

if you are just making a straight copy of a PS2 DVD without altering it, then use... whatever. just about any good burning program should be able to do it. DVD Decrypter does a perfectly good job, using its "ISO Read" & "ISO Write" modes, for example.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 12-04-2004 at 12:24 AM.

3. Games   -   #13
    Poster
    The one thing I don't get, is why the menu for Datatype selection changes with Alcohol when I goto the Make Image Wizard and there's a DVD in my drive... Does it already know what kind of DVD it is so therefore I don't need to select the datatype?

Also, I've been using CloneCD's Copy CD to burn PS2 games straight.. I havnt tried the backups yet, but is this good method?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12